Zumo550 & Cardo G4

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by OkieTom, Jan 23, 2011.

1. OkieTom

OkieTom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone else have a 550 and a G4 and if so, how satisfied are you with the bluetooth function? I have tried everything and mine is crap when it comes to the bluetooth...
  2. John Smallberries

John Smallberries Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Scala G4 pairs beautifully with my iPhone 4G. No experience with the Zumo - but I'm in the market.

Great looking bike - I have it's twin waiting under a cover in my driveway waiting for a break from the snow!
  3. lhendrik

lhendrik Putins Puppet

Oddometer:
    I assume you are referring to the quality of the audio from your Zumo to your G4? If so, you need to know that the Zumo 550 audio output over bluetooth is MONO only, not stereo, and that means crappy sound in your G4. I recommend, and have done this myself, buying a Stereo bluetooth dongle (google it) and plugging it into the 3.5 mm output on the cradle of your Zumo. By pairing that with your G4 you will get stereo sound and I have been very happy with the quality. Good luck.
  4. xlcr

xlcr Stop being a dick, dick.

Oddometer:
    It also means you'll suck your headset battery dry in short order as it keeps the mic open while you're listening to music.
  5. ReactorTrip

ReactorTrip glows in the dark

Oddometer:
    I use the 550 and Sena headset. Works well. It is analog, but it doesn't sound terrible.

Battery life is fine, all day of riding easy and some of the next, plus you can charge while it's in use off the bike.
  6. xlcr

Oddometer:

Remove any unnecessary pairings.
    Set the zumo to use BT for "phone only" audio.
    Pair the helmet to the zumo and the phone to the zumo.

If you want to stream from the zumo, get an A2DP dongle and pair it to the helmet.

If you want to stream from the phone, pair the phone to the helmet but disable the phone audio connection in the phone's BT settings. This prevents the zumo and helmet from fighting over the phone. Using "phone only" in the zumo's BT audio settings prevents screen-touches from breaking into your music, but you'll lose navigation voice prompts. (The zumo suppresses audible screen-touch feedback when it's playing its own music.)
  7. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    I guess it depends on your set up and what you mean by crappy audio.

I use a iPod nano for my music. Since it sits inside my jacket, I just run a wire up to the Scala and use the BT connection between the Zumo and G4 for phone and navigation. This has the advantage of muting the music when I get a call or directions from the nav.

The Zumo is hardwired to the bike and I just USB charge the G4 and iPod at the end of the day.

Yes, that does mean there's a wire, but it's a very minor issue and seems the best solution for me until the Zumo will do A2DP BT for music.
  8. Emperor Norton

Emperor Norton Kilroy was here

Oddometer:
    How many hours per charge do you get on your Scala if you run the iPod and Zumos nav? I have a SRC which claims 10hrs but erred out the MP3 audio after 5.
  9. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    Longest I've gone is about 8 hours.
  10. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    in for ideas on my direction with the Zumo and G4
  11. 10/10ths

10/10ths Road Trip Fool

Oddometer:
  12. OkieTom

OkieTom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Battery will last for days but if you turn up the volume loud enough to hear it, is all crackly and full of static. Voice promps are only about half as loud as the music.
  13. xlcr

Oddometer:
    Have you tried playing with the zumo's mixer?
  14. RonkoRider

RonkoRider Wrong Island, NY Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  15. RonkoRider

Oddometer:
    Earlier this week, I was able to pick up a Sony BT transmitter off of Fleabay for dirt. I was also able to score from a fellow a club member a Zumo/XM antenna.

[​IMG]

Besides the wire that plugs into the GPS, it also has an alligator clip attached to it. I plan on using a piece of 3M heavy duty velcro to attach it under the RCU shelf on my LT.

It took me about an hour to sync my HTC EVO phone to my Zumo, GPS directions and XM music to my helmet - but it works GREAT! Actually, the voice prompts from the Zumo are MUCH louder and clearer via the stereo BT. Only down side, the BT dongle has a charging base and power cord block that I now need to bring with me just in case. According to what I found on the web, it's supposed to be good for up to 11 hours of streaming music. We'll see.
    [​IMG]

30 minutes of that was on the phone with XM to activate my GPS/radio. :ddog.

However, they did give me three months free for already being a Sirius subscriber. :D

I have stuff sack with misc. wires for charging the electronic doodads I carry. Maybe the RKA case is in my future.
  16. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've searched and searched for answers... this seems to be the logical thread to ask.... I want to:
    1) listen to my ipod touch music
    2) hear turn by turn directions from my zumo 550
    3) intercom rider to rider on my scala G4

is this possible?
  17. RonkoRider

Oddometer:
    Yes, but you will need the patch cord from the Ipod to the Scala. The coiled cord is included with the head set. It plugs into the headphone jack. Bluetooth to the zumo is not an issue. Intercom to another rider using the G4 is now a snap.
  18. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    will the coiled cord work? to connect the scala with ipod?
  19. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    Exactly what I do.

I really wish Garmin would upgrade the Zumo 550 to stream audio in A2DP. :deal
  20. RonkoRider

Oddometer:
    Yup- no problem.