zumo595

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by desmo666, Dec 10, 2016.

1. desmo666

desmo666 Lost Presumed Fed

Oddometer:
    the world, especially the Middle East and Africa
    Ok, have been running a 595 for a few months now , I like it, much better than my old 550. Question is, I do not believe I am getting the most out of it without a smart phone for weather, traffic and spotify etc.
    I am not a Luddite but have been resisting the clamour for me to get a phone for years, so what would you recommend ,what connects and runs best, which is reliable and which is cost effective?
    over to you guys
  2. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    weather and traffic overlays are really really overrated, to me. my smartphone is always on the bars, and perfectly capable of displaying weather/traffic, but after the novelty of seeing a swirl of rainclouds, or instant traffic jams on the screen AS THEY HAPPEN IN FRONT OF ME (from wrecks) wore off, I just disabled them. here's why:

weather: i'll look it up when leaving for the day, and remember about when to expect it, at xyz location, and then check it again when i get food or fuel, while stopped. it's a lot easier (for me) to change the route plan like that.

traffic: it takes about five seconds to say "ok google, navigate to blah-ville" and let it just do it, after i pick the route i want. it will figure out traffic, without me trying to plot around stuff, or really, do anything.

the most annoying thing, in my experience, about pairing devices is one of them always thinks they know best how to change the volume, change the song, change the directions, or yell out "turn left in x feet on blah road" when I already have it figured out. TWO screens to keep up with, silliness !

if you just want to see the swirl of weather, or pandora/spotify/amazon playing tunes, it might be a good idea to mount the phone on the bars next to the garmin, and get used to your maps on one screen and music on another. i just don't like half assed interfaces that almost work together. (personal preference, that's all) :)

if you decide you want to try it, wether in your pocket or on the bars, pick a screen size that is around 5", waterproof, and allows for removing/replacing the battery. it's a lot easier (for me) to just drain one and replace it than to swap chargers/cords/etc from bike to bike, and cords always end up falling off, getting lost, tangled, etc again, personal preference. IPS displays usually work well in sunlight.

if your garmin has the ability to use wifi for your music streaming apps and weather info you want to display/use, give it a shot at home and see if it really works well enough to use it while riding. if nothing else, familiarization is a good thing.

if you want a device recommended, the samsung galaxy s5 ($120 on ebay used) is pretty kick ass. i use old samsung rugby pro's ($50 ebay used), or a kyocera hydro air ($40 at walmart new) but the kyocera doesn't have a removable battery.

there are a bunch of threads about using the smartphone for everything navigation (online or offline), but i bet you already have a comfort level with the garmin. no need to change that unless it's lacking.
  3. GO_OUTSIDE!

GO_OUTSIDE! dirty hippie

Oddometer:
    I like to keep my phone on my person. In the event of a wreck i know it will stay with me.
    I have no experience pairing phones to Garmins but in the interest of getting a discussion started i will chime in.
    Seeing as how you have not chosen to adapt the tech lifestyle until now i suggest an iphone 6s. They require less tech savy tinkering. Also the fingerprint sensor is fantastic.
    If you like to learn new skills and arent frustrated easily, the androids offer more personalization options, go galaxy.
    Do not get a windows phone. They dont play well with others.
    As far as whether you need one, that is your decision.
    Do expect a harsh learning curve so find a compassionate teenager to tutor you.
  4. desmo666

desmo666 Lost Presumed Fed

Oddometer:
    the world, especially the Middle East and Africa
    hey thanks guys,like I say I love tech, build pc`s and use linux etc....but the trouble with phones are, when I am away on the bike, thats where i am until I get home, at the same time it seems the garmin is not being used to its full capabilites unless i go done this route.
    From the research I have done the iphone 6s is the stand out phone,
    thanks for your thoughts and replies