Zunwhat? Zundapp!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Boston12GS, May 29, 2009.

1. Boston12GS

Boston12GS Banned

Oddometer:
    I don't usually post in this forum, as I haven't had a thumper in years, but last month in Maastricht I ran across a gaggle of interesting single-cylinders and thought some of you might be interested. They were a make I am unfamiliar with, Zundapp, but clearly were well taken care of by their owners.

The Supersport model: :lol3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Love the map taped right to the tank!

[​IMG]
  2. fritzcoinc

fritzcoinc Enjoying my last V8 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great photos! Thanks!
    Didn't Rickman use Zundapp engines in thier 125cc bike back in the 70's?
  3. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    Yep...

[​IMG]

plus early Penton/KTMs too...

[​IMG]
  4. Drachenfels

Drachenfels Wayfairing Stranger

Oddometer:
    Zundapp made some great bikes throughout the years.. Founded in Nurenburg in 1917. Built a lot of the bikes that the Wehrmacht used to 'adventure tour' parts of france, italy, north africa, and russia during the early 40s (see 'recent unpleasantness).

When I lived in Germany in the early 80s, they were still cranking out 'mofas' and 'kkr' (Klein Kraft Rader), both classes of bikes that were 50 or 80 cc... cheap to purchase, own, and operate. Unfortunatly, they went belly up in 1984.

They still have a solid following among folks who grew up with them; mofas were a rite of passage, as kids aren't allowed to get a motorcycle or auto drivers license until 18, and that's still expensive (think $1500 plus dollars) due to the school and experience requirements. Mofas only required a easy written test; insurance was about $30/year. Then again, they were only allowed to max out at 40 km/hr; if the cops suspected you had modified a mofa to go faster, they'd impound and test it... dont ask how I know. :huh
  5. roadholder

roadholder Long timer

Oddometer:
    They've been around for a while...for better or worse!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]