1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

ZX10r with blown engine...talk me out of it.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nomad_games, Sep 25, 2015.

1. nomad_games

nomad_games Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, I'm looking at an 04 ZX10r that has a shit ton of upgrades, carbon and Vortex everything, ohlins everything, full leo vince, etc. looks to be in very good condition overall. problem is, it has a blown engine. sounds like a dropped valve or possibly a broken crank. I do all my own work, and i've done a couple top end rebuilds and am confident I could fix it if it's fixable, or put in a replacement engine if it isn't. he wants about 40% of typical value for this year, which I think is a little high, and he's not budging. I could buy an ebay engine and still come out about $1500 under typical selling price, or part it out and prob make around $1500-$2k. or I could keep it and use it as a trackday bike. plus i've been itching for an engine to rebuild. is that the dumbest idea ever?
  2. Navy Chief

Navy Chief Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you are comfortable with the work and have the cash I would say go for it. Worst case scenario is you tear the motor down and decide that it is too far gone and part the bike out and turn a profit.
  3. nomad_games

nomad_games Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats what i was thinking
  4. sparkingdogg

sparkingdogg Prisoner In Disguise

Oddometer:
    Easy cash if you decide later to bail and part it out. You won't lose any money.
  5. REALGRAVEROBBER

REALGRAVEROBBER LEAVING GRAVES EMPTY

Oddometer:
    Buy it. Clean it like crazy, then to the car wash. Disassemble it, eBay list all the parts 'buy it now or best offer' and you'll sell it all for more than a good clean un-messed-up one, and have hundreds extra.

I have done this a bit, and I have yet to see a semi-modern sportbike that is worth rebuilding. You'll do better parting it and buying a clean used one especially after the snow flies.
  6. RVDan

RVDan Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's totally not worth it. Your time to part it out will make it break even at best.

Do it anyway, you need to be taught a lesson.
  7. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Winter is coming up pretty quick, could be a good project.
  8. nomad_games

nomad_games Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. I ended up passing for a variety of reasons.