ZX12R - motorcycle for the criminally insane

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Skidmarkart, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Skidmarkart

Skidmarkart Dirty Middle Age Man Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gentlemen, I've just began to commute on one of these...

[​IMG]

...and I would just like to state for the record - Holy. F***ing. S**t.

This thing is so much faster than anything I have ever ridden, that I do not even have the words to describe it (guess I should have paid more attention in those poetry lessons in high school). Why didn't I hear about this bike in the past? It's amazing. I've owned and ridden lots of big, fast bikes but NOTHING like this, and it is bone stock. I have a feeling I'd better go down to the bank and open a rear-tire savings account. I mean, do the kids really need to go to college?

It's pants-sh**ingly fast. I know there are faster things out there, but I am pretty sure at this moment, I do not want to ride them. This is clearly a motorcycle for the criminally insane.

And people actually put parts on these to make them faster... WTF?

Did I mention, it's reasonably comfy too?

Posting this b/c there's little to no info on the forum about this bike, and I know I could go elsewhere, but I love this place. Anyone else have a 12R? Tell me all about it. Except performance mods. I'm not crazy!
  2. VicRattlehead

VicRattlehead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used to own a 2000 Hayabusa; I know EXACTLY what you mean. :deal
    I currently ride an 03 CBR 954RR so it's not like I've gone to a slow commuter bike either.

You wanna know the REALLY scary thing? Eventually the fear will subside and riding a 'bike for the criminally insane' will be no big deal.
    Welcome to the dark side. Bwaaaa Haaaa haaaaa. :grim
  3. shovelstrokeed

shovelstrokeed Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it is big and heavy and brutally fast,,,,,,,for now.
    Yep, grabbing a hand full of throttle in the lower gears will flatten your eyeballs and maybe break the rear tire loose.
    You do get used to it.
    My old drag bike would do 0-100 in just over 2 seconds and be over 150 mph in the 1/8th mile, near 180 in the quarter and after about 5 runs, I'd be about falling asleep at the 1/8 point waiting for the slug to finish a run.
    It's all relative to what you are used to.
  4. discoganya

discoganya Engineer, Rider, Dad

Oddometer:
    The 12R is lunacy. No other way to describe it.

For the 14 and 14R, Kawasaki mixed in the lines of the ZZR and the ZX. So the 14s turned out a bit more mannered.
    Robert K. likes this.
  5. Skowinski

Skowinski opposable thumbs

Oddometer:
    Almost bought one of those a few years ago. It came down to the 12R or a nice clean low mileage Hayabusa. Ended up with the Busa, but I'm sure I'd have been happy with the Kawasaki. Enjoy, like the color too.
  6. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had a new 1999 Busa. For awhile it would kind of blur my vision. Then I got used to it. Enjoy the Kawi but be careful!
  7. ARiderX

ARiderX Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's one of the bikes I will definitely buy at some point. It's number one on my list, followed closely by a GSX 1400 naked.

I keep my eyes open for a nice unmolested one, with not too many miles on it. They can be had pretty cheap these days, saw one a couple of months ago for 3500 euros. But it was sold too fast. I mean, in todays world of ultra expensive "SUV" bikes, you could uy 7 of these (seven!!) for the price of a ktm 1290 or bmw GS. I know which one I'll have! I mean, 3500 euro will hardly get you a set of panniers/rack and crash bars these days for any of those starbucks adventurers! Crazy.

And I want it for several reasons. Price being one of them. But I keep hearing good things about them. Apparently the carbs are brilliant. One of the last bikes to have carbs before everything went FI, and they went out with a bang. Faultless fuelling, stock.
    And mostly, I'm tall, and I keep hearing how this bike is still pretty comfortable, and one of the largest supersport bikes ever made, before everything went the size of 600 sport bikes (even the literbikes). I'd love to gets some lessons on a track, or increase my skill levels on the sporty side, but at 6'4" I need a bike that will fit me. This one should do it, without breaking the bank.

If at all possible, I'd like the black/gold one!

Btw, on a side note, hayabusas are way small to me. Low, and the bodywork just pushed my legs/knees outside of the bike. Quite disappointing when I first sat on one.

Enjoy yours, I'll be looking for mine this winter.

Edit: gold like this one ;-)

[​IMG]
  8. Volfy

Volfy Fava beans & a nice Chianti

Oddometer:
    If you buy a bike that makes you ride like you're criminally insane, it's not the bike's fault, it's yours. :lol2

Seriously, just about all litersports and open class sport bikes can make you go criminally insane, if you have no right wrist discipline. If that's the case with you... oh boy, good luck with the 12R.

That said, the older ZX's are more unwieldy. I had an '08 ZX10R and riding it at slow speed was like walking an angry pitbull - slightest bit of provocation and it threatened to yank my arms off. The ZX14R I have now is actually a lot more civilized, even though it has just crazy power. A pleasure to cruising around at legal speeds, but when the mood strikes... :evil
    vintagespeed likes this.
  9. Jigsaw

Jigsaw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had a ZX12R A1. Keep anything long enough, it eventually becomes same old.....

Then came the power commander and Akropovic full system... That soon becomes same old too.

Sold it to my brother in law. A few weeks later, it popped a cog.

Now ride gen2 busa. Yoshi R77's...etc...........same old again. It's my everyday transport. I even call it the car!
    KleineDK likes this.
  10. Omarius

Omarius Long timer

Oddometer:
    The H2 is probably the closest descendant of the 12R.
  11. Robert K.

Robert K. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the club of the criminally insane! That is one beatiful 12, and the red has grown to be one of my favorite colors along with the Blue and Black....ok Green too.. I was a part of the 12 community as well up until about 4 weeks ago when I sent mine flying into the woods. It is now destroyed. I absolutelty loved that bike. It was good at cruising and it was good at hauling some serious speed. It was versatile. One of the things I loved was the bungee mounts near the passanger seat, really wish more bikes came with them. I put close to 27,000mi and visited 8 states on mine during a two year stretch in all types of weather conditions and it did well, really well. Its a great pack mule but is lacking in the fuel range. Man what a sweet bike, a wheelie machine. An upgrade I would suggest adding is a set of EBC EPFA brake pads with steel braided lines. It will increase your stopping power substantionally with the 12. They are based on a double H pad but are a little more powerful. They will also offer a more sensitive feel, something that the stock set up is lacking.

Here it is without the saddlebags. The Drybag took some creativity but it is definitely doable. Its a Wolman Expedition Duffle size Large.

[​IMG]

Here it is with the saddlebags on. The Cortech Sport saddlebags work exceptionally well and have been used on 4 different bikes. (ZX9, ZX10, ZX12, Superhawk).

[​IMG]

And having some 'legal' fun

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was a great bike. Extremely Versatile. All-Day Comfortable. Fast as Hell. Enjoy!

- I also have a brand new set of Conti Road Attack 2 Evo's that I wil cut you a deal on. PM if intersted.
    edge2edge likes this.
  12. Skidmarkart

Oddometer:
    Okay, I might make an exception for that particular high-performance accessory.

Shhh... no one tell her... her shoes are totally inappropriate for riding.
  13. Skidmarkart

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I have already noticed with this much power and weight in the same spot, the very best front brakes possible are a necessity! Sorry to hear about your 12, that is a bummer. Still, seems like you had some good times with it. I haven't been able to get anywhere near that lean angle yet. Did you go down from the 200 tire in back? Will PM you about the Road Attacks, I am going to need a rear one soon.
    Robert K. likes this.
  14. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    What a great looking machine. I miss sport bikes that had real presence and an ASS!
    Robert K. likes this.
  15. Robert K.

Oddometer:
    Yes I did! The major reason for doing so was the lack of Sport Touring tires offered in the 200 size. That and 200 size tires make me cry when I have to pay for them.
  16. luftkoph

luftkoph Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I saw kawasakirob's bike once,you could tell it was rode hard and possibly put away wet a few times,and I mean that in a good way:ilmostro
    Robert K. likes this.
  17. Robert K.

Oddometer:
    The red looks excellent too, good color choice. What did you pick it up for? Looks mint.
  18. Skidmarkart

Oddometer:
    Yeah, she's almost mint, and only 18K miles. Around $4k, but I had to fix a thing or two. Still a hell of a good price for all that performance. Finding one that wasn't stretched, chopped, slammed, smothered and covered was the hard part. It's amazing the things people do to f**k-up a perfectly good motorcycle.

As Mel Brooks would say, "This motorcycle represents a giant step forward in the treatment of the insane motorcyclist!"
    Robert K. likes this.
  19. Robert K.

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah that's a heck of a deal. Really good. Your right about how hard it is trying to find one that's not only in good condition, but also one that's not customized to heavily. You found a keeper.
  20. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kawasaki are the masters of making 150 hp feel like 200.