ZX12R - motorcycle for the criminally insane

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Skidmarkart, Sep 30, 2015.

1. TannerLdJ123

TannerLdJ123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    what would be the other 2?
  2. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    10HP and 10MPH less , 84Lbs. more and shaft . Not even close . :loco
  3. zroadster

zroadster SUPERn00b

Oddometer:
    lol When you do get bored, I know a company that will turn it into a ZX"14" 1394cc with 12.5:1 compression.
  4. steingar

steingar higher life form

Oddometer:
    Kowalski knows how to make a fast bike. Watch the throttle in the corners or you'll get to learn all about harmonic vibration. Be interested in which organ you had to sell to pay for the insurance.
  5. laylow3down

laylow3down dirt bike mike

Oddometer:
    Everything about the 12 to me is fascinating... the chassis (which is one piece design that uses the engine to help brace it) to the 200 rear it uses... "rides like a Cadillac" another owner of a 12 once told me.. I heard another say rider tell me it's "a zx9 on steroids"...

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk
  6. laylow3down

Oddometer:
    This was taken at my folks house on the way home from work

7. laylow3down

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Chisenhallw and Robert K. like this.
  8. laylow3down

Oddometer:
    It currently has 28,XXX miles on the odometer and still climbing

9. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    A friend of mine had a ZX14 . Bored and stroked to 1550 . 260 HP and 140lb. ft. of torque with no power adders . He sold it a couple of years ago to get an S1000RR BMW .
  10. Skidmarkart

Skidmarkart Dirty Middle Age Man Supporter

Oddometer:
    I only have liability - $8/mo ;)

The more I ride it, the more I like it. It is an impressive bike. It's polite enough in the lower RPM range and easy to ride around town (save the fact you have to be very careful with your throttle hand, and I mean that literally, especially in the wet with leaves on the ground). It's thirsty, pretty sure my Saab gets better mileage. But smooth, and seems to have ludicrous power at any time in any gear at any RPM.

I keep getting in big spaces, opening the throttle, and experiencing blast off, I quickly glance down and ask myself, "Time to shift? Nope, only at 6,000RPM." 11K passes and I shift to 2 or 3 and I am well into the triple digits and running out of space. I know the brake and suspenders aren't race spec, but they do a great job, and the suspension seems perfectly situated between a softish sport cruiser spot and something that is ready for some reasonably serious carving (for a bike this size).

Took it to the parkway two weeks ago, and had a blast, both on the highway getting there, then riding up the parkway. Best of all, after 4+ hours, I wasn't sore. Of course, I did have to stop for gas twice ;)

Anyway, it continues to be a fun bike... and no, I'm still not used to the power, just getting more addicted to it.
  11. steingar

steingar higher life form

Oddometer:
    I recall fondly throttling up to pass a truck on my 954 and looking down at triple digits. Sportbikes are fun. My pal is a big fan of Top Gear, he was always telling me about all these hot cars they were driving. All I ever said was I could beat them in the quarter mile on my little $6K bike.
  12. edge2edge

edge2edge Evil Scotsman

Oddometer:
    I bought mine new in 2002, and there is virtually nothing completely stock. It is outrageously fast and comfy for a sportbike, I did 1800 kms in less than 24 hours on it and was not suffering at the end. Changes to the motor, swingarm and suspension have changed it into an even better corner carver, while maintaining the high speed stability it is known for. I love the bike and will never sell her!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  13. ARiderX

ARiderX Long timer

Oddometer:
    you guys are killing me! I need one of these NOW. Before they become collectors items. This is a classic
    CCitis, FJ Fun and edge2edge like this.
  14. Skidmarkart

Skidmarkart Dirty Middle Age Man Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow! That 12R may be the finest bike I have ever seen. I can only imagine how sweet it is! You sir, own my dream bike.

Slowing standing, and applauding, clapping loudly and slowly and slowly at first, as others take notice, and join in. Bravo, well done.
    edge2edge likes this.
  15. Friz Freleng

Friz Freleng Religious zealot Supporter

Oddometer:
    This video, though dated, was just posted on the BMW MOA forum (why, I have absolutely no idea). Say what you will, this guy can ride.

16. Mobil1

Mobil1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A chimpanzee could do that. Not impressed. :stupid
  17. dsilver1007

dsilver1007 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wish I could like this post even more but it isnt possible.
    edge2edge likes this.
  18. rpmwfo

rpmwfo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    I owned a 2003 Cosmic Splendor Red (the metallic black cherry color) ZX12R for ten years. It was my sole transportation for 8 years. Rode the bike coast to coast. Awesome bike. I loved the ergonomics for longer rides. It was a cruise missile when slabbing for hundreds of miles a day. Only downside was it gulped fuel like a drunken sailor so range was only so-so. I put a Muzzy full system and PC3R on it and had it dyno tuned. 182 RWHP. Never had a problem with the dreaded flat spot. Low 10s in the 1/4 mile at 5000' elevation and I am not great at launching a bike at the drag strip. That bike probably spent more of it's life above 100 mph than below. Never seemed to stop pulling regardless of speed-always had more on tap. Never had any major problems. It did start to have a small oil leak around the valve cover(known issue- had it fixed when I had the valves checked).

I had a Corbin seat on mine. Huge improvement in comfort. I also put Buell XB pegs on mine and gained a little more legroom. The braided brake lines and new performance friction pads made a huge difference in being able to slow the bike. The bike ate rear tires. I went to the 190 rear it it helped handling.

On one of the group rides I swapped with someone and rode a v-twin SV1000. I had a blast on the borrowed bike and ended up buying a KTM RC8R. I found myself riding the RC8R more, and ended up selling the ZX12R to get more garage space for a track bike. I still wonder about my old ZX12R. I was sad to see it go.
    edge2edge and dtysdalx2 like this.
  19. Friz Freleng

Friz Freleng Religious zealot Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really? I think his ability to find gaps and split lanes so nimbly at those speeds is very impressive. My slow-witted indecision and lamentable tendency to focus visually on where I shouldn't be aiming instead of where I should would get me splatted within seconds. I'm mentally challenged enough as it is when I split lanes at 5-10 mph. Obviously, his judgement in riding like that in traffic is fundamentally stupid and selfish...he'll kill himself or someone else eventually. As they say, simply being able to do something doesn't mean you should.
  20. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    I def. didn't think the rider lacks skill, but he does seem to have that sense of invincibility that comes from hitting "reset" on the X-Box controller. No thanks.

One reason I bought a slower bike in September is to discourage riding too fast. It is stop and smell the roses time for this old fart.