ZX12R - motorcycle for the criminally insane

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Skidmarkart, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Friz Freleng

Friz Freleng Religious zealot Supporter

Oddometer:
    A perfect way to describe it.
  2. Rodan

Rodan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a '12 back around the 'turn of the century'... mostly used it for drag racing.

[​IMG]

Mine did that too... good for inducing laughing out loud in the helmet! :D

Having later bought a Gen 1 Busa, I fully agree. The powerband on the '12 took a big jump when it came on the cams, and the fueling was not all that great on the early ones (mine was a '00). Even with a PowerCommander and a custom map, it took a smooth hand to go fast in the twisty bits. 'Busa was all torque by comparison, and much easier to ride. Even on the dragstrip, the 'Busa was much easier to launch, but the '12 had the HP, and is so much prettier.

If you think a ZX-12 is fast, you really owe it to yourself to try one of the newer liter bikes... same (or more!) HP, 100lbs lighter... ;)
    xrmattaz likes this.
  3. d2wing

d2wing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My son and I had one for drag racing. A green one with extended swing arm and a built motor, 225 at the crank. It had a few extras. I don't recall the times but it was crazy fast. Due to a hand surgery I only rode it once. We sold it last summer because my son decided to go back to racing cars.
  4. Mr. Canoehead

Mr. Canoehead Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer:
    Calgary, dreaming of riding the Alps, again
    The ZX-12 is such a good looking bike compared to the 'Busa - the 'Busa might be a great bike to ride but it fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.
    Mobil1 likes this.
  5. Rodan

Rodan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's why I originally bought the -12... but having had both, the 'Busa was definitely the better bike. And you don't notice the looks when you're behind the bars... ;)

I'd like to try a Gen2 ZX-14 sometime... that's what I would buy today if I were looking for another supersonic GT.
  6. Skidmarkart

Skidmarkart Dirty Middle Age Man Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh I agree, I definitely need to do that. However, for a 11-15 year old bike, that can be had for about 1/3 the price of a new ZX10R, I think the ZX12R puts out some pretty impressive performance. It definitely needs the wide open spaces to be truly appreciated.
  7. NinjaRider

NinjaRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 2003. These bikes are a fantastic combination of performance, looks, ergonomics and ride. I am 6'2" and one of the main criteria I checked out before
    buying was the riding position and how i fit on the bike. It passed on both. The girlfriend loves the bike, the Kawasaki Green color and most of all, riding pillion at speed!.
    In a twist of the classic story of "Either the bike goes or I go", if I ever sold it, I think I would be single again!

Kawasaki paddock at work:

IMG_1272.JPG Green Machine
    IMG_1567.JPG
  8. johnno950

johnno950 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got a 12r a few months ago here in oz and have noticed its a bit flat when you crack the throttle,slight dwell then it pulls ok ? dont think its making full hp/torque?
    I changed the air cleaners /plugs/oil/ coolant etc when i bought it (1 owner 16000kms had been stored not used from 09>16.)
    Is there anything i should look at?,i have done 10000kms on it (has had another oil change x2,engine is smooth/and quite)
    The bike is stock . 001.jpg
  9. Skidmarkart

Skidmarkart Dirty Middle Age Man Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm... mine never did that. Granted it was sedate until about 4k RPM, but it never seemed to be flat anywhere. Perhaps clogged/partially clogged injectors from the storage? I would start there or possibly a TPS reset.

I miss that bike, it was a great one. I don't think I will ever own anything that powerful again.
    johnno950 likes this.
  10. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Let's Go, Brandon!

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I'm totally ignorant on the bike. Does it have carbs? If so, a good cleaning is probably in order. Maybe go up one size on the pilot jet.
  11. JCool

JCool Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's FI.
  12. james9793

james9793 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have an 03 that's been dry docked for a couple of years now. Can't figure out a headlight issue (they stopped working). My favourite bike of all time. Fits me perfectly, almost like they built it right under my arse. 4500 rpm is the gateway to salvation for power junkies; bloody bonkers!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
  13. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
    :eek7
  14. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, at a show I demo rode a ZX12. When I got off after I quit shaking, as asked if it had prepaid legal.
    When too much is barely enough.

Rod
  15. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    My reference point is late 1970's Kawasaki 1000 LTD's with a Kerker. That was pretty much the standard weapon of choice then as Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki weren't up to speed yet, for the most part. Those things pulled really hard and blurred the scenery just fine. To read comments like these, when you know they're true, and you realize how far these things have come, boggles the mind. Spinning the back wheel with the front wheel in the air? :eekers

Holy cow how do people ride these things. I've never been a "fan" of street legal sport bikes and have not endeared myself to many fans of the Isle of Mann TT, but recent video's of the IOM have really left me scratching my head. My god how fast ARE these things and HOW THE F CAN PEOPLE SEE THE ROAD AT THOSE SPEEDS WHEN RIDING THEM????

Wow. all credit due to anyone brave enough to even begin to ride this kind of power it is beyond my realm of comprehension, but I do have to say when you see Hayabusa's in the $5000 range it would be tempting to have something like that just because. RC51's, etc. etc. etc. for what amounts to pocket change. Wow we thought H1's and H2's were fast. Maybe they were in the reality of 1975 but those things were freaking kiddie toys compared to post Y2K sport bikes. Great thread these kind of real world comments are great insights.

The baddest circa 1978 Kawasaki LTD in town used to have a full Yoshimura treatment and was off the charts fast and
    I believe he still has it. Will something like a ZX12R some day be a reminder of a bygone era when bikes were "slow" compared to the 2045 Kawasaki? Wow...thanks for the thread, great stuff.
  16. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    So a quick check on Craigslist and there's a nice clean year 2000 ZX12R with 10K miles for four grand. And there are plenty of them. :yikes
  17. BOOTLACE

BOOTLACE Bikie Scum. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Kwak. Coulda. Shoulda.

P1050507.jpg
  18. mr openroad

mr openroad Target Fixated

Oddometer:
    that's what I thought as I was screaming in my helmet!
  19. mr openroad

mr openroad Target Fixated

Oddometer:
    looking back at it when I bought it new it came with a book on the making of the Beast still have it. has anybody else seen it?
  20. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    its mind boggling. The Tom Cruise Top Gun Ninja was fast. That was 30 years ago that bike is a lawn tractor compared to these bikes and the ZX12R being discussed here as ungodly fast is already outdated @ 15 years old. Seriously I don't know how people can see their line/road under that kind of acceleration/speed. I'm not a fan of them being accessible to anyone with a few grand to play with but it is what it is. The technology is incredible.