ZX12R - motorcycle for the criminally insane

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Skidmarkart, Sep 30, 2015.

1. mr openroad

mr openroad Target Fixated

Oddometer:
    totally agree! at the time Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki were in a major speed / horsepower war. everybody was amazed and finally somebody stepped in and said enough is enough and put a horsepower limit on the big three.
  2. JCool

JCool Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is no horsepower limit , it was a self imposed top speed. 300KPH , by the BIG-4. Easily bypassed.
  3. Rodan

Rodan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My '00 ZX-12 was difficult to ride smoothly on the track (road course) because the EFI just wasn't that well sorted. With a Power Commander and custom, dyno tuned map, it was better, but nowhere near as easy to ride as my '05 GSXR1k. The GSXR was actually faster (because it was much lighter) although 15-20hp shy of the ZX-12. Never spun the rear with the front up on the Gixxer, though...

I haven't ridden on the track in a few years... I can't imagine what the current crop of liter bikes is like! Of course, traction control and ever better tires helps... ;)
  4. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
    Jay Leno did I think the 2016 GSX1000 on Leno's garage and he pointed out a few features that lent themselves to "street" riding so while they aren't QUITE the track bikes they look like (but in my opinion sport bikes in general are way more than %50 track bikes) when I hear things about big sport bikes like Leno said about the 1000 GSX, and the positive things you hear about ZX14's, it always catches my ear. Couple that with the IOM video's where you see sport bikes coming over crests in carrying the front wheel at speed and they don't even THINK about backing off, riding these things to me does not compute. While I've never ridden a sport bike I've concluded I never will as I just don't have a remote skill set to pointing these things in a direction and nailing it. I'm afraid they'd get away from me before I knew what happened. Stories and video's about how these things perform blow me away. The fact that you can take your pick of ZX12R's on Craigslist for around $4000 give or take only add to the that does not compute factor.
  5. JCool

JCool Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's similar to riding a big bore 2-stroke MX bike. You get used to power wheelies and the front wheel a few inches off the ground every time you accelerate hard. Turning on asphalt is a bit different when leaning over and the front comes off the ground , it makes the bike want to stand back up and go straight. You have to counter lean to force it over.
  6. laylow3down

laylow3down dirt bike mike

Oddometer:
    I love my 12.. I've had it for 9years and never plan on parting with it.. it's a b2 (2003).. one of the most reliable and comfortable vehicles I own...

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk
  7. Lolthatguy

Lolthatguy Has a Zombie House

Oddometer:
    I've been enjoying reading the tales of owning this bike. Got any more?
  8. laylow3down

laylow3down dirt bike mike

Oddometer:

it's a control factor:muutt...the bike is only gonna go based on how much throttle you give her.. 2001 and up they where re mapped to be more smoother.. in 2004 Kawasaki added a 2nd set of butterfly throttle valve plates in the throttle bodies to make the throttle response even more milder... still a beast on high side of the rpm spectrum..
  9. Skidmarkart

Skidmarkart Dirty Middle Age Man Supporter

Oddometer:
    I guess that is kind of the odd thing I found about the 12R, while it was a bat-s**t crazy fast bike, it was very easy to ride. Don't get me wrong, it was not a bike that tolerated an inexperienced rider, but it also wasn't as difficult to control as you might think. Honestly, it was a friendly bike, to a point. You just had to be VERY aware of how much speed you could develop in a VERY short amount of time. Straights I was used to hitting 80 or 90mph on were suddenly seeing 150mph or more. Handled pretty well too for the weight. I never got comfortable enough with it to really ride a two lane twisty backroad at the speed I would on a 600 though. There are guys that could do it (I saw them), I was just never one.
  10. onesaintsfan

onesaintsfan BigJohnHart

Oddometer:
    McComb MS, where men are men and sheep are nervous
    I've had 27 motorcycles on 20 years. My 05 ZX12R, is one my top 3 favorites of all. Corbin seat, double bubble & bar risers made it a super sport tourer. Loved it.
  11. kenny robert

kenny robert Long timer

Oddometer:
    in the end it is just a motorcycle,all mc's have a trait or ability to be quickly and easily LEAD into loosing all tire contact with THE RODE tipping over falling off the wheels "suffered a "hard landing event"in helicopter insurance adjuster language
    moped,motoegeepee, nitro fueled hillclimber, no matter, you lead them
    flug go get on sportbike next year
    you would do very well on a sportbike because you would be using the survival instinct
    too many try to say that there is no crossover between the skills used on different classes of specialized mc's
    like ,that board track racer could never handle a moto gp bike
    tell us why not,its just not true at all
    a motorcycle is a motorcycle, see,and a rider is a rider
  12. JCool

JCool Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's not quite that simple. Like spelling or punctuation. :lol3
    Patek likes this.
  13. kenny robert

kenny robert Long timer

Oddometer:

a puncuationcist,it must be horrible, how do you live with that,are you also an upholder of phyletic gradualism:photog
    and indeed the loud handle can be so intoxicating to where a rider just ain't thinkin' right... i have mowed down bushes on a streetbike as proof
  14. iScream

iScream Use the D@m pulloff!

Oddometer:
    Watch the speedo when he hits the gas. 2005 Hayabusa with larger rear sprocket to accelerate just a little harder. I had exactly the same bike but definitely not me. Would never do such a thing.

buck12ga likes this.
  15. Lolthatguy

Lolthatguy Has a Zombie House

Oddometer:
    Christ. What was the speed of that? ?
  16. GeneralGarden

GeneralGarden Long timer

Oddometer:
    if I counted the bars on the speedo correctly that was about 30 to 170 mph in about 11 seconds. Or, in layman's terms, holy f*ing sh*t brakebrakebrake.
    Lolthatguy likes this.
  17. Rodan

Rodan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If it had a larger rear sprocket and no speedo recalibration, it wasn't going 170... from the looks of the road/trees going by, it wasn't going anywhere near 150+.
  18. iScream

iScream Use the D@m pulloff!

Oddometer:
    Two teeth up on the rear sprocket with no speedo correction. It was about 25 MPH to about 155 MPH.
  19. fast1075

fast1075 Not a Lemming

Oddometer:
    My KZ-900 went from zero to 185 in 7.92 seconds. Ok, it had a little bigger motor, and a little bigger tire, and a teeny bit of nitrous, and weighed 325 pounds wet. :photog
  20. Rodan

Rodan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    170 indicated would be about 155 actual with stock gearing...