1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

ZX9R Muzzy Exhaust System — Can this missing piece be fabricated?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shigeta, May 7, 2016.

1. Shigeta

Shigeta Much too curious

Oddometer:
    Hey inmates!

I recently bought a '98 ZX9R that came with a full Muzzy system. I went to dismount the 4-1 Yosh slip on to mount the Muzzy 4-2-1, but I noticed the Muzzy header was missing a piece or two and I wanted to get yer feedback on how to proceed.

I wanted to call up Muzzy for replacement parts, but it looks like they went out of business recently.

Here are my questions:

I seem to be missing this flange piece that adapts the headers onto the bike itself. I do not know what these are called or where/how to get replacements. Is this something that a machine shop would have to fab up?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Do I need springs to hold the header pipes to the flanges that bolt to the engine? There are these spring hooks near the connection point to the engine, but I don't see how the connect to the flanges. :wtf

[​IMG]

Thanks in advanced for your help!
  2. boardrider247

boardrider247 Weekend Anarchist

Oddometer:
    Oh how I envy you.
    The rasp from a ZX9R with Muzzy race exhaust has to be one of the most orgasmic blissful sounds ever to fall upon the ears of a apprentice to the internal combustion masters.

As to your questions that first missing piece if it cannot be found used via fleebay or such should be rather easy for someone with a lathe to fabricate. And yes I do believe you want springs on the headers though I cannot remember what they look like. I'll see if I still have any pics from when I installed mine, but that was long before I switched to digital photography
  3. Mobil1

Mobil1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The parts you are missing are called spigots. The springs go from the loops on the head pipes to the small holes in the flanges. You can also see the marks on the flanges from the springs. Don't over tighten the flanges. As you can see , somebody already bent them slightly. Use new seals at the head so you don't have leaks or feel the need to tighten the shit out of them.
  4. Shigeta

Shigeta Much too curious

Oddometer:
    I've only heard it with the Yosh pipe it came with, but the Muzzy should be incredible. I am looking forward to it. Here it is mid-strip down before I send it off to Factory Pro to have it Dyno Tuned. Suspension is going to Catalyst Reaction to get rebuilt.

[​IMG]

Thanks for the tips. Would a spring like this suffice?

[​IMG]

Thank you for the info. Should I reverse the flanges to bend them the other way?
  5. anonny

anonny What could go wrong?

Oddometer:
    Yes that style of spring should work, I'm sure you must realize that plastic will probably melt if you leave it on. Right?
  6. Tim McKittrick

Tim McKittrick Long timer

Oddometer:
    The rubber on the spring is there not only to reduce noise but more importantly to reduce the vibration of the spring to extend its life. Without the damper the springs will often fail after only a few dozen hours of use. On my racers I run a loop of safety wire through the center of the spring and attatchment loops to hold all the parts in place were the springs to break. Ive never had any of the rubbers melt but I have had a lot of the springs fail.
  7. 9.5isCanadian

9.5isCanadian "Missing a few pieces."

Oddometer:
    If you get stuck sourcing a replacement spigot, post up a dimensioned sketch and I'll make you one. I'm away until May 25th though.
    ID
    OD
    shoulder lengths & width etc
    I've made many of these when I raced my FZR's with Vance'n Heinz pipes. I always loved the SS2r oval can.
    9 1/2

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  8. Shigeta

Shigeta Much too curious

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback and tip. I grateful to stand on the shoulders of the giants who have come before me.

Thanks! I may have a solution, but I'll definitely follow up with you if it doesn't pan out.

Thank you again for all the helpful feedback, inmates.

Edit: Just stumbled upon this photo. For future reference for anyone who stumbles upon this thread, this is what the springs near the engine should look like:

[​IMG]
  9. Mobil1

Mobil1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We already knew that.
  10. iiatlas

iiatlas 1977 R100/7

Oddometer:
    +1 I would be happy to give this a shot too. I'm a hobbyist machinist always looking for a project. I am sure 9.5isCanadian's will be much better...but happy to try nonetheless!