In one of the few commercial campsites I found in Europe I was able to light a fire, I made the most of being able to cook over hot coals for a change. The smoky flavour and the joy of cooking over an open flame is something makes any meal memorable.
This particular campsite I was able to borrow a small grill which I put over the hot coals to cook a variety of fresh veggies.
1 cup of uncooked pasta
½ small head of broccoli, cut into large florets
½ small head of cauliflower, cut into large florets
1 x capsicum, any colour, cut into large pieces
2 x smoked kranksy style sausages
Fresh lemon to serve
Salad to serve, optional
- Build a fire where it is safe to do so. Allow the wood to burn down and create hot coals. Place a metal grill over the coals. Toss vegetables in a small amount of oil, season with salt and pepper.
- Place vegetables in a single layer on the grill along with the sausages
- Cook for 15-20 minutes, turning regularly and ensuring the sausages are well heated through.
- Whilst the grilled foods are cooking, bring a medium pot of water to the boil. Add pasta, stir and boil for recommended cooking time, depending on the shape. Drain and set aside.
- Divide pasta between plates, top with a mix of vegetables and a sausage. Drizzle with oil and squeeze over fresh lemon juice.
- Cooking over hot coals is dangerous and food should not be left unattended as it can easily burn
- Any vegetables can be used for grilling that are able to be cut into large pieces ie; zucchini, eggplant, tomatoes, onion wedges
- Any grilled meat will work with this dish, or omit for a vegetarian option