Combining classic Greek flavours and ingredients, zingy lemon and oregano chicken mixed with peppers, red onion and topped with crunchy lettuce, this is a quick meal that is satisfying and super tasty.
1 large chicken breast, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 lemon, halved
1 x red pepper, deseeded, diced
1 x cucumber, halved, sliced
½ red onion, peeled, sliced
1 baby romaine lettuce
4 pita breads
Natural yoghurt to serve (optional)
- Combine chicken with oregano, 1 teaspoon of olive oil and the juice of half the lemon, season well with salt and pepper.
- Heat a pan over high heat, add chicken and cook stirring for 5 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Remove from heat and transfer chicken to a plate. Wipe pan clean and return to a medium heat and gently warm pita breads for 1 minute each side.
- Combine peppers, cucumber and onion, squeeze over remaining lemon and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Lay pitas on plates, top with a couple of torn lettuce leaves, a spoonful of salad and top with chicken. Drizzle with yoghurt if using.
- Dried oregano makes a great pantry staple on the road to liven up and chicken or lamb dish
- Warming your pita breads before you use them with make them soft and if they aren’t as fresh as possible the heat will help to freshen them up
- Lamb strips or steak can be used in place of chicken.
- Grilled slices of haloumi make a great vegetarian substitute
- Any flatbreads or wraps can be used in place of pita
- Mayonnaise can be used in place of yoghurt if using