One for the back country trips when all of your fresh reserves have been exhausted. Powdered coconut cream and a sachet of green curry paste are always hidden somewhere in my stash. They are two ingredients that you can make into so many different meals. Topping the rice with tuna is a good way to get some much needed protein.
1 cup of long grain rice
2 tablespoons green curry paste
250ml coconut cream
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 small packet of freeze dried peas
400g tuna, drained
- Bring a pot of water to the boil with rice, cook for 12 minutes and drain. Rice will still be slightly under-cooked.
- Return pot to the heat with a drizzle of oil. Cook curry paste for 1 minute, stirring until fragrant. Add coconut cream and return rice to the pan along with soy and peas.
- Finish cooking rice in curry sauce for a further 5 minutes.
- Gently stir tuna through or flake on top once rice is divided between plates.
- Reconstitute coconut cream powder with fresh water and use as needed
- Stir rice regularly and keep an eye on the heat once added to the sauce as it can easily catch and burn on the bottom
- Any flavour curry paste or powder can be used
- Any dried or canned vegetables can be added
- Canned chicken, salmon or dried sausage can be used in place of tuna
Featured photo: @Kylie.d