This dish can be used as a side as is intended here, or used as the base for a warm grilled vegetable salad. This selection of veggies are typically boiled or steamed with little more thought then a sprinkle of salt and pepper before serving. They all lend themselves well to grilling, giving new flavours and texture.
1/2 head broccoli
1/2 head cauliflower
1 medium zucchini
Large handful of brussel sprouts
1/4 cup whole almonds
Lemon wedges to serve
- Cut broccoli and cauliflower into large flat style pieces to create surface area for grilling. Cut zucchini into batons and brussel sprouts in half.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat with a tablespoon of oil. Cook vegetables in single layer batches until toasted and cooked through, although still slightly crunchy.
- Toast almonds in a dry pan once vegetables have been cooked.
- Season veggies with salt and pepper, scatter with almonds and serve with a good squeeze of lemon.
Serves 4 as a side
- Add 2 tablespoons of water to the pan when cooking broccoli and cauliflower to speed up the cooking process. Allow all water to cook off and vegetables to brown.
- Sweet corn, thin carrot batons, parsnips and green beans can all be cooked in the same way
- Add crumbled goats cheese or feta for a warm salad
- Topped with grilled meat this vegetable dish turns into a complete meal