When you know you won’t have the ability to stop at the end of the day to grab fresh supplies, this recipe is a great one to have up your sleeve. All of the veggies are fine to be out of the fridge for a day and the saltiness of the feta will keep it safe, just make sure you use it on the same day.
1 cup of couscous
1 tablespoon olive oil
6 large field mushrooms, stalks trimmed
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 lemon, juiced
1 small cucumber, sliced
12 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
2 spring onions, sliced
- In a small pot, bring 1 cup of water to the boil. Remove from heat, add couscous, oil and season well with salt. Cover and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Heat a large fry pan with 1 tablespoon of oil, add mushrooms stalk side down and cook over medium high heat for 3-4 minutes. Turn, add thyme and garlic, cover the pan and cook for a further 4 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.
- Use a fork the fluff the couscous grains, squeeze a good amount of lemon into couscous and stir through.
- Divide couscous between plates, top with salad ingredients. Serve mushrooms on the side with crumble feta on top and extra lemon.
- Covering the mushrooms halfway will ensure they cook through.
- If large mushrooms aren’t available, buy an assortment of smaller mushrooms, slice them and sauté with garlic and thyme.
- Cooked and cooled pasta works well in place of couscous for the salad
- Capsicum and red onion can be substituted for tomatoes and spring onions