This has to be one of my favourite salads. The salty haloumi is a great flavour booster to the otherwise mild quinoa. You can make this with any ingredients you have on hand, the semi-hard salty cheese is fine for a day on the road, so it makes it easy to pack the morning of a weekend trip.
1 cup of quinoa
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon honey
1 punnet cherry tomatoes halved
1 bunch asparagus, woody ends trimmed
Mixed lettuce or baby spinach
200g haloumi, sliced
- Cover quinoa in water and set aside to soak for 15 minutes. Turn heat on and cook for 12-15 minutes or until the water has absorbed, fluff with a fork and set aside to cool.
- In a bowl or mug, combine the oil, lemon, honey and season well with salt and pepper, whisk vigorously with a fork to combine.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a large fry pan, add asparagus and haloumi. Cook cheese on both sides until golden brown, turn asparagus often.
- Plate quinoa with spinach, tomatoes and asparagus, and drizzle with 1 teaspoon of dressing. Place haloumi on the top and serve with remaining dressing as desired.
- You can use pre-cooked quinoa or mixed grains for a quicker take on this dish
- Haloumi is best cooked just prior to eating so it is melty and soft
- Any salad ingredients you have or like can be used
- If you don’t have honey and lemon, a balsamic dressing also works well as does a red wine vinegar and mustard dressing