All done with the Suzuki 650BTS Mongrel, time for a new project, time for another single, but smaller. One of my first jobs was as a parts guy in 1974 at a little Honda shop. SL70s, SL100s, CT70s, XR75s, nice small, fun bikes. I had a Grom a little while ago, went on some fun 100 mile rides, but not quite the same. My friend Andy had a spare 2003 CRF230F engine, and my friend Alex had a spare 2003 CRF150F engine, so I needed a couple chassis. At a swap meet a year ago, I bought an SL100 and an XL100, both in rough shape. As I had other projects waiting, I decided to just make one bike, the XL100 with the CRF230F engine, and gave the other project to a friend. The CRF230F has a 6-speed, and electric start. Sure, there are knockoff 250cc Chinese motors, but I wanted a real Honda motor I could order parts for. The 100,125,150F,185,200,230F vertical engines share the same basic engine architecture over 45 years, and have the same lower engine mount spacing, so they will basically interchange. (Not the CRF150R or XL175 engines). After the first couple years they went to a 2-piece head, moving the top engine mount rearward. My goal was a street legal playbike, looking somewhat stock. I would be adding a later model disc brake front end from a 2003 Suzuki DRZ125, with a 17" front wheel. Nowadays, that tiny single leading shoe brake would not be enough. Besides, the disc front end was $75 off Craigslist. The seat and exhaust and sidecovers would be original SL/XL100 style, but I had found an already painted gas tank on eBay for the later XL125 for $150. As a proper paint job in the area is $400 just to do a tank, I'd live with the compromises. The mounts were a little different too, but I could make them work. I planned to keep it below $1500, but I'm more than halfway there already.