Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Jan 18, 2006.
I could rip a sight tube off with a tree branch, no sweat.
They aren't for some of us...
Buddy of mine bought an XR today off a guy who’s ridden it to South America and back. Over 64,000 km and it still runs great!!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Working in the garage today.
Tore down the crashed bike's engine. Cylinder and head going to Engine Dynamics for Mike's treatment.
He will also weld on the broken case piece.
Then I stripped down the crashed/bent frame.
Tweaked just a bit eh?
Then it was wash out the replacement frame of the blast media residue from getting it powder coated.
I wanted something different for the paint color. Silver? Black? How about both!
This is the intake manifold from the crashed bike. 11k mikes with an OE air filter.
This is the shit that KILLS engines.
^^^ running it with the boot to the airbox not connected well to the rear of the carburetor?
Carb was mounted just fine.
Any idea how that happened then? Didn’t check and replace the air filter enough?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Air filter not sealing well to the air box.
Hi folks quick question, I will be moving soon and hope to stuff the xrl into to back of my 95 Volvo wagon.
I know the complete xrl is around 340lbs any idea how much the wheels, engine, fork wight? I'm tempted to partly disassemble her and put a few parts on the roof.
PS: move will be about 2000 miles from WA to IA in January.
Just ship it.
If you go snail it's only a few hundred bucks.
Engine is 112 lbs. Wheels are about 30 front and 40 rear. Fork legs 15 lbs each
Get a trailer. I have stuffed a dirtbike in the back of a Cavalier Hatchback just with the tank removed when I was 16, but would not do it now.
Trying to get a 3rd username banned, Joe?
Working on the frame swap this morning.
Time for new steering stem bearings. I was going to replace them anyway but since they have been blasted at the powder coater it's a moot point.
Lets drive the old bearings out. Long drift punch with a sharp end.
Lets chill the bearing shells so that they might shrink some.
While the bearings are chilling out I took one of the old bearings and using my die grinder with a cut off disc I cut the bearing shell. This will be used to drive the new bearings home once they are seated in the frame.
Bearing in the frame but not all the way seated.
Using the cut bearing to drive home the new bearing. The reason for the cut is so it comes free of the frame.
Bearing all the way seated. On to the bottom bearing. This whole procedure probably took me all of ten minutes.
More of Steve's Tips 'n Tricks...
Tired of those pesky tank rubbers jumping ship?
Let's swap out the helmet lock.
I was going to use my die grinder to remove the fasteners but the PO got them loose.
Once the fastener is bottomed a bit more torque and the head will pop off.
I would rather not spend the money on a hitch/wiring and are not sure it's a good idea for me to pull a trailer up the mountains in the middle of winter.
Thanks Tukate, I'll look into shipping.
Steve, about 5 years ago I had a head on with a Chevy Tahoe ("It's not always your fault, but it's always your problem.") Guy came around a blind corner on a 26 ft. wide dirt road driving on the complete wrong side of the road. Luckily, I had time to stand up and "eject" myself over the bars and on to and over the Tahoe. My friends and I got good videos of my tire tracks where he stopped etc. and he was determined at fault even thought there was no police report.
Anyway, I hit him going 15 mph or so he was probably going less than 10. My frame was determined bent by and the bike was, consequently, totaled. You couldn't visually see ANY misalignment of the frame. The only sign that something was amiss is when I tried to salvage the swing arm I couldn't get the swing arm bolt out with a 15 pound sledge hammer. I tried everything. Penetrants, heat, huge brass and steel drifts, everything. Off to the scrap yard it went. That guy whose frame you've shown is lucky to be alive. Wow. That took a lot of energy to bend that frame like that.
Years ago, I too got tired of those tank supports "jumping ship". I finally cleaned them and the mounting area well, and used some clear (it was open) silicone to put them on. Haven't come of since. Silicone (100% at least) is fantastic for adhering non-porous stuff together. Think of how well is does on aquarium glass. That's a lot of pressure with minimal surface area and it holds for decades sometimes! I've glued plywood with it too and it pulled the plies apart when I tried to separate the pieces.
I'll bet your frame wasn't bent.
Here is what was wrong.
The swing arm bearing and shell is pressed into the swingarm. In goes the collar that the swing arm bolt passes through. Now the swing arm bolt.
Rust develops between the swing arm bolt and bearing collar thus locking the collar to the bolt. Yes the bearing will allow the swing arm to pivot on the collar but the rust will not allow the swing arm bolt to be removed.
There is a fellow Dr Lewall (sp) on the XR400 thread. He had to sawzall his swing arm off to get his engine out of the frame. On the XR400 the swing arm bolt is the lower rear motor mount bolt.