The mega-city of Los Angeles is planning big moves to battle emissions from traffic, and it doesn’t seem like motorcycles are part of that plan.

Los Angeles is the second-largest city in the US and third-largest in North America, so no doubt whatever happens there will have an impact on the rest of the country. For that reason, it’s somewhat concerning to see the LA region’s Transportation Electrification Partnership (a group comprised of government and industry bodies) announce a plan to move towards EVs, without much attention towards motorcycles.

The goal is to have EVs comprise 80 per cent of the vehicles sold in LA by 2028, with gas-powered vehicles making up the other 20 per cent. As part of this plan, the TEP wants to push public transportation, to make the transportation sector towards EVs, and to make single-passenger traffic move to bicycles and other non-carbon-emitting options. As well, the city is considering setting up toll booth-like arrangements that would charge users extra money for driving gasoline-burning vehicles.

The planners hope to have 84,000 public charging stations in place by 2028, to make this all possible. No word on whether those are Class II or Class III, or what, but with the increasing fast-charge capability of bikes like the Harley-Davidson LiveWire (above), at least riders would be able to have less range anxiety.

You can see the whole plan here. Skip to Page 13, and you’ll notice there’s mention of “Light Electric Vehicles,” a.k.a. electric bicycles. But hey, it seems motorcycles have been ignored. Is that a good thing? Probably not!

The reality is that even if this plan is scrapped eventually, gasoline-powered motorcycles face more challenges in Europe and North America than ever before. A 1-2-3 punch combo of anti-pollution regulations, increasing insurance costs and declining rider interest is making the future look grim. But don’t panic and throw out your R1200 GS just yet: due to the ambitious timeline on this project, there are plenty of problems to sort out, particularly because the electric transport trucks that the proponents want don’t even exist yet, and it’s also not as if California’s power grid has been confidence-inspiring lately, without the addition of tens of thousands of EV chargers .

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Thank you for subscribing!
This email is already subscribed.
There has been an error.