Using premade meatballs is a great way to add protein to a salad and make it a meal. There are so many ready-made options, both fresh and precooked. I have chosen to combine lamb meatballs with a Greek style salad as the flavours work really and come together with a zingy lemon dressing.
1 cup quinoa
500gm lamb meatballs
1/2 red onion, peeled and finely sliced
1 red, yellow or green capsicum, diced
1 punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
1 cucumber, sliced
200gm feta, cubed
1 tsp dried oregano
- In a pot, cover quinoa with water. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and continue to simmer for 12-15 minutes or until cooked. Drain off excess water, set aside.
- Heat a fry pan with a drizzle of oil over medium heat. Cook meatballs, turning regularly for 10-15 minutes or until cooked through, depending on the size of meatball.
- Combine the juice of lemon with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, oregano, salt & pepper and whisk with a fork to combine.
- Combine quinoa with red onion, capsicum, tomatoes, cucumber and feta. Toss through dressing and divide between plates and top with meatballs.
Serves 3 – 4
- Pre-made Greek salad kits are a great way to save time on preparation
- Olives can be added; green, kalamata or black
- Any flavour of meatball can be used; pork, beef or chicken
- Couscous can be substituted for quinoa
- Green beans, broccoli or asparagus can be served on the side instead of a simple green salad