A couple of simple ingredients put together with a touch of zingy lemon makes for a super easy, cheap and filling meal. This version is vegetarian, however if you feel the need to add some extra protein and quickly grilled chicken breast would work wonderfully with these flavours.
500g large pasta shapes – see tips
1 small head of broccoli cut into small florets
1 large lemon, zest and juice
250g soft ricotta
- Bring a large pot or pan of water to the boil. Add pasta and cook according to packet directions. Drain well, reserve ¼ cup of cooking water.
- Bring another pot of water to the boil, add broccoli and cook for 2 minutes or until bright green and just tender. Drain well.
- Return pasta and broccoli to a large pan, stir through ricotta and lemon. Loosen sauce with reserved pasta water. Season well with salt and lots of cracked black pepper.
- Chose a pasta that can hold the ricotta eg: rigatoni, large shells, spirals
- Reserving the starchy pasta cooking water is a great way to create and thicken sauces
- Tender stem broccoli and zucchini would work well in this dish
- Fetta or goats cheese can be used in place of ricotta if available