Beans are wonderful, not only from a nutritional perspective but also because they are excellent carriers of flavour. They can be transformed in so many ways, like they are here as the main protein source in this filling and healthy Mexican bowl.
1 cup of rice
1 red onion, peeled, finely
1 can mixed beans, drained
2 tablespoons taco seasoning
1 small green capsicum, diced finely
2 tomatoes, core removed, finely diced
1 small can corn, drained
Salsa and sour cream to serve
- Cook rice, set aside covered to keep warm.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat in a pot, add ¾’s of the onion, sauté for 3 minutes. Add taco seasoning with 2 tablespoons water, cook for 1 minute whilst stirring. Add beans and cook on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Combine remaining onion with capsicum and tomato, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Divide rice between plates, top with beans, corn, salsa’s and sour cream.
- Be careful not to burn the spices, turn down the heat and gently cook to help the flavours develop through the beans, add more water in small amounts if needed.
- Omit the sour cream and replace with guacamole for a vegan friendly meal
- Chicken, beef, pork or fish can be used in place of beans. Cut into 2cm cubes and brown with the onion before the seasoning
- Vary the heat to your taste by using milder or hotter seasonings and salsa
- Yoghurt can be used in place of sour cream