This salad can easily be a quick lunch or with a couple of extras a hearty dinner. The addition of some canned black beans or a cup of rice will make this dish into a filling after adventure winner. I always have a small sachet of Mexican taco seasoning with me, it can be used in so many ways and is a great way to add flavour without having loads of different spices in the cooking kit.
1 large chicken breast
1 small romaine or iceberg lettuce, roughly chopped
Cherry tomatoes, cut in half
1 corn cob, husk and silk removed
1 teaspoon Mexican seasoning mix
¼ red onion
½ red capsicum
Spicy Lime Mayo
½ teaspoon Mexican seasoning mix
¼ cup mayonnaise
1 lime, cut in half
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a frypan over medium heat. Sprinkle chicken with seasoning, salt and pepper. Cook chicken breast for 5-6 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Return pan to heat with a little extra oil, grill corn until lightly charred. Remove from heat and when cool enough to handle cut kernels with a sharp knife.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a bowl or large plate. Slice chicken. In a small bowl or mug, combine additional seasoning, mayonnaise and juice of half a lime. Mix well.
- Divide salad between plates, scatter with corn kernels and dress with spicy lime mayo. Serve with remaining lime wedge on the side.
- Using the same seasoning mix for both the chicken and the dressing makes the dish come together and reduces the amount of spices you need.
- Allow chicken to cool before cutting or shredding with 2 forks to mix through the salad
- Mixed or bagged lettuce can be used in place of romaine/iceberg
- Spring onions can be used in place of red onion
- Canned corn can be used in place of fresh, drain well and toss in a hot pan to toast slightly
- Lemon can be used in place of lime