This recipe combines two Italian greats; a hearty vegetable-based soup with juicy beef meatballs. I love heat and eat soups because they make great bases and already have so much flavour, you can add to them and create meals with minimal time and a lot less ingredients.
500g beef meatballs
1 litre minestrone soup
100g baby spinach
Bread to serve (optional)
- Heat a fry pan over high heat with a drizzle of oil. Add meatballs to the pan and brown on all sides.
- Add minestrone to the pan, reduce heat to medium, bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through. Remove from heat and stir through spinach to wilt.
- Drizzle bread with olive oil, toast in a dry pan over high heat until lightly charred.
- Serve soup in bowls garnished with parmesan cheese and bread on the side.
Serves 3 – 4
- Browning the meatballs before adding the soup will give the dish a more savoury flavour. You can skip this step and gently cook the meatballs in the soup once it has come to a simmer.
- Use any fresh meatballs for this recipe
- Minestrone can be substituted for any tomato and vegetable-based soup
- Readymade garlic bread can be served on the side, grilled in a fry pan