A decadent one pan meal that is low fuss and delivers maximum flavour. Chicken and mushrooms in a creamy pasta sauce with crunchy prosciutto crumbles, everyone will be coming back for seconds.
2 slices prosciutto
½ onion, peeled and diced
1 cup mushrooms, cut into quarters
200gm chicken thigh, diced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 chicken stock cube
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup risoni pasta
½ cup parmesan, finely grated
Spring onions to serve
- Heat a large fry pan with a drizzle of olive oil, cook prosciutto over high heat until crisp on both sides, remove and set aside to cool.
- Return pan to the heat and add onion, mushrooms and chicken and cook for 4-5 minutes or until onion soft, add garlic and cook for a 1 minute.
- Add stock cube and 1.5 cups of water, cream and risoni pasta. Bring to the boil and reduce heat to low, cook for 12-15 minutes covered or until pasta is tender. Stir occasionally.
- Stir before adding parmesan and mixing through, season well with black pepper and a generous squeeze of lemon.
- Scatter with spring onions, crumbled prosciutto and serve.
- Risoni is a short pasta that resembles rice and can be cooked in similar way to a risotto without the effort of continually stirring.
- Adding lemon at the end of cooking cuts through the heavy cream, brightening up the flavour of the dish
- Chicken can be omitted for a vegetarian option
- Add green peas, beans or snow peas in the last 5 minutes of cooking for extra veggies
- Prosciutto can be substituted for pancetta or bacon
- Dried mushrooms can be substituted for fresh