Pizza is easily one of the most loved foods world-wide, and with good reason. It simple, tasty and the combination of flavours and toppings are almost endless. The best way to make a crispy pizza on the road is to use a pita bread base. It doesn’t require any extra cooking, the gentle heat from the pan will create a crisp base whilst the toppings heat through using a lid to trap the heat from above.
4 – 8 Pita bread
2 sachets tomato paste
Pepperoni and Mushroom
1/4 red onion, peeled and finely sliced
1 small green capsicum, thinly sliced
8 medium sized mushrooms, sliced
200g sliced pepperoni
100gm grated mozzarella
2 roma tomatoes, sliced
100g mozzarella, sliced
Basil leaves, optional
- Heat a fry pan over medium heat with a drizzle of oil. Add onion, capsicum and mushroom for pepperoni pizza, cook for 2-3 minutes to soften. Remove from pan.
- Spread pita breads with tomato paste, season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle bases evenly with grated cheese.
- Arrange toppings evenly over the top of the pita’s, lay pepperoni on top of veggies.
- For Margherita, arrange sliced tomatoes on top of pita, arrange slices of mozzarella slices, season with salt and pepper.
- Heat pan over medium-low heat with a drizzle of oil, add pita and cover. Cook for 5-6 minutes or until base is crisp and cheese is melted.
- Continue to cook remaining pitas one at a time and serve immediately.
- Greek style pitas are thicker than Lebanese style pitas, both make great bases depending on your preference.
- Tubes and sachets of tomato paste are great to use for these, light weight and minimal waste.
- Watch the heat to ensure the base does not burn before toppings are heated through and cheese melts
- Any combination of ingredients can be used depending on what you have available or love on pizza!