On a recent long weekend moto-camping trip my companion brought along a couple of sachets of fancy oats. A mix of nuts, seeds and flavors which was a nice change from my usual plain porridge with a drizzle of honey. However, the cost of them along with the meagre serving size gave me the idea to create my own blend and bring it along on the next trip.
The possibilities and combinations are limited only by your imagination. Experiment and keep things interesting
3 cups rolled oats
1 cup dried cranberries
¾ cup whole almonds
½ cup shredded coconut
- Combine all ingredients in a large ziplock bag.
- To cook, cover the desired amount of oats with water in a pot. Allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Cook over low heat, stirring often to prevent catching on the bottom and adding more water as necessary.
- When oats are creamy and cooked to your liking, remove from heat and add 1-2 teaspoons of milk powder and stir well.
- Divide between bowls, or if you are like me and usually travelling solo – eat them straight out of the pot!
- Make these ahead of time and have ready as a go to breakfast on the road
- Whilst oats don’t weight much, they are bulky so measure out the number of portions you need to save space
- Allowing the oats to soak for 5 minutes prior to cooking will reduce cooking time and save gas/fuel. Soak for up to an hour. Don’t leave to soak overnight.
- Make sure to only combine dry ingredients ahead of time
- Leave the milk powder separate (if using), cooking the oats with it added from the start increases the changes of the porridge sticking and burning to the bottom of the pot
- Brown sugar, cinnamon and dried apple
- Pepita, dates and walnuts
- Pecan, dried peach and brown sugar