It’s been a few weeks now, and you are more than halfway through designing what you think would be the ideal travel adventure bike on ADVRider.com.  So what does it look like so far?  Is the motorcycle headed towards being an impossible to build unicorn?  Or, are we examining the tradeoffs and coming up with something that is producible and viable.  Let’s take a look, shall we?

  1. Ideal weight: About 40 percent of you said it should weigh between 351 – 400 pounds (41%).  The next highest choice was 301 – 350 pounds (31%).
  2. Engine displacement: Half of you said its displacement should be between 601 cc and 800 cc (50%).  The next choice was 401 cc to 600 cc (26%).
  3. The number of cylinders: You overwhelmingly said two cylinders are best (70%).  The next highest choice was for a single (15%).
  4. Engine configuration: You had mixed feelings but decided an Inline/parallel engine would be best (38%).  The next highest choice was a “V” engine layout (25%)
  5. Fuel capacity: You had mixed feelings again but came up with five but less than 6 gallons (30%).  Close by was 6 but less than 7 gallons (24%)
  6. Mileage: Half of us said that the bike needed to get 46 – 55 miles per gallon (50%).  The next highest choice was 36 -45 mpg (23%)
  7.  Tires and Wheels: 58% of us said that the ideal travel adventure machine should come equipped with tubeless tires on spoked wheels.  The next closest choice was tubed tires on spoked wheels with 20% of the vote.  With a total of 78% of you casting votes, it’s clear that riders want spoke wheels regardless of the tire choice.
Ideal Adventure Motorcycle

You’re still filling in the blanks for your ideal adventure motorcycle. Image credit: Pinterest

What do we have so far?

So what do we have so far?  Is it a unicorn machine?  Well perhaps.  Weight seems to be the biggest issue when compared to the other things we want.  Currently, we only allow between 351 – 400 pounds for a machine that has an inline/parallel-twin engine with a displacement of between 601 cc – 800 cc.  The bike needs to carry between 5 and 6 gallons and get 46 – 55 MPG.

Everything so far seems possible other than the weight we chose.  If the bike has to have at least 5 gallons of gas and is a parallel twin, just the fluids will add around 50 pounds to the machine.  That would leave only 350 pounds at a maximum weight of 400 pounds.  We’re likely not going to find a 350-pound twin.  But if we upped our weight allotment, we may be onto something.

If you haven’t voted yet, cast your votes across all the polls published so far.  Knowing what you know now, would you change your mind on weight?  Let us know in the comments below.

 

 

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Thank you for subscribing!
This email is already subscribed.
There has been an error.