French toast is an indulgent café breakfast, usually loaded with sugar and covered in syrup. However, the process of dipping bread in milk and egg make it suited to savoury recipes as well. Make sure you use a good quality sourdough or Italian style bread that will stay intact once soaked. I have chosen a simple combination of ham and cheese but get creative with your fillings and make your own signature savoury French toast.
1 cup milk
¼ cup finely grated parmesan
4 slices sourdough
200g sliced ham
4 slices cheddar cheese
Cherry tomatoes to serve
- In a bowl large enough to dip bread, combine; egg, milk and parmesan and whisk together with a fork.
- Dip each slice of bread into the milk mixture, allowing it to soak up as much as possible before removing from the bowl.
- Heat a large pan with a drizzle of oil over medium heat, add 2 slices of the soaked bread to the pan. Top each piece of bread with 2 slices and ham and cheese each, before placing the remaining slices of bread on top to form two sandwiches.
- Add cherry tomatoes to the pan on the side to char whilst sandwiches are cooking.
- Toast each sandwich for 5-6 minutes on each side or until golden brown on both sides and the cheese has melted.
- Remove from heat, cut each sandwich in half and serve with cherry tomatoes on the side.
- Cook over a medium heat to ensure the bread cooks through and the cheese melts without burning the outside.
- Dried long-life parmesan works well with this recipe and creates a crunchy outside crust when grilled.
- Salami, mushroom and tomato
- Pesto, goat cheese and roasted peppers
- Bacon, banana and maple