This is a hearty breakfast that will set you up for a day of big riding on the trails. When I have leftover bread I want to bring back to life, I simply drizzle it with a little olive oil and toast it in a hot pan. It will freshen the bread and also give it flavour, and a golden crunch. Loaded with protein from the meat and beans along with a good amount of carbs, this will keep you hunger free for many hours post breakfast.
4 thick beef sausages, cut into 3 pieces each
1 cup of mushrooms, sliced
4 rashers of middle bacon
1 large can baked beans
Pinch of dried chilli flakes
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
4 slices thick cut bread, toasted
- Toast bread as described above and set aside.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a fry pan over medium heat, add bacon and cook until crisp, remove from pan and keep bacon fat.
- To the same pan, add sausages and mushrooms, cook whilst turning for 5 minutes until both are browned well.
- Add beans to the pan along with chilli and paprika. Stir through, turn heat down to a simmer until sausages are cooked through.
- Divide toast between plates, top with sausage mix and garnish with crisp bacon.
- Chipolatas can be used if available in place of large sausages cut into pieces
- Cooking sausage and mushrooms in the bacon fat will add another level of flavour to this dish and means you only need to use one pan
- To make this into a great dinner option, replace toast with instant mashed potato
- Any flavour sausages can be used
- Diced peppers can be added or used in place of mushrooms
- Omit chilli for a milder version, paprika will provide flavour without heat