If you have vegetarian friends or just want a lighter option, this makes a delicious lunch or dinner. Crispy haloumi lends itself to so many flavours, including this mix of sweetness, spice and tang and ready in less than 15 minutes!
250g haloumi cheese
4 cups shredded cabbage
1 small cucumber, sliced into matchsticks
1 carrot, thinly sliced into matchsticks
1 cup fresh bean sprout
¼ cup toasted and chopped cashews
1/3 cup sweet chilli sauce
1 large lemon, juiced
1 tablespoon soy sauce
Fresh sliced chilli, optional
Cilantro, mint or green onions
- Combine veggies and cashews in a large bowl and toss to combine. Add sweet chili, soy and lemon and season with black pepper, toss well and set aside to soften slightly.
- Slice haloumi into 1cm thick slices. Heat a large pan over medium-high heat with 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Cook haloumi on each side for 3-4 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Divide salad between plates, top with haloumi, fresh herbs and green onions.
- If on the road, use a pre-bought coleslaw mix to save time on chopping the individual veggies
- Make sure you wash bean sprouts well before using, they are a great source of vitamin C but can also be a good source of salmonella so take extra care when using fresh
- Grilled chicken can be used in place of haloumi
- Tomatoes, capsicum, radish are all great additions to this salad