This quick and tasty salad brings together the best of summer produce, keeping things light and bursting with flavour. You can customise this recipe to any ingredients that are in season, this time I made the most of sweet juicy corn on the cob and bright yellow tomatoes. Keep it light with a lemon or vinaigrette style dressing.
250g short pasta
1 x cob of corn
1 x punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
3 x spring onion, thinly sliced
½ red onion, peeled, thinly sliced
1 x medium zucchini, peeled into ribbons
100g mixed leaves (optional)
1 x teaspoon seeded mustard
1 x lemon, halved
- Bring a medium size pot of water to the boil. Add pasta and cook according to packet directions. Drain well, toss with a drizzle of oil olive and set aside to cool.
- Heat a fry pan over medium heat with a drizzle of oil, grill corn on all sides until slightly charred. Remove from heat and when cool enough to handle use a serrated knife to remove kernels from the cob.
- Combine all ingredients except lemon in a bowl. Season well with salt and pepper and dress with 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil and a good squeeze of lemon.
- Grilling the corn on the cob gives it a nice smoky flavour and increases the sweetness
- Zucchini is great in a salad, it can be sliced thinly if you don’t have a peeler, or cut into a small dice
- Toss through some grilled chicken, steak or a hard-boiled egg for some added protein
- This recipe makes a great lunch on the road. Make fresh in the morning before you leave camp
- Canned corn will also work, drain well and toss in some olive oil in a hot pan to dry it out a little
- Use any fresh tomatoes you can find, mix up the colours for added variety and flavours
- Cucumber can be used in place of zucchini