If you need a quick, filling tasty meal when you only have a few pantry staples on board, this is a great option. Tuna is a great protein hit when you don’t have anything fresh at your disposal, it also lends itself really well to just about any flavour combination you can think of.
This pasta dish is super easy to whip up, great on the budget, and sure to satisfy even the biggest hunger.
250g linguine or other long pasta
Dried chilli flakes
½ teaspoon dried onion and garlic powder
1 lemon, juice
Large can of tuna in brine
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Add pasta, return to the boil and cook as per directions. Drain well and set aside.
- Heat 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil in a fry pan over medium heat, add chilli and dried spices and cook, stirring constantly until fragrant.
- Squeeze lemon into pan and add cooked pasta. Toss flavoured oil through pasta, add tuna and gently mix through. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Divide between plates and serve.
- Keep a close eye on the spices to ensure they don’t burn
- The amount of chilli should be added to personal taste
- Any pasta can be used in place of linguine
- Canned salmon or other fish can be used in place of tuna
- If no fresh citrus is available, use 1-2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar