Even meat lovers will be coming back for seconds of this hearty flavour packed meal. With a fiery chipotle seasoning, topped with cooling sour cream, it makes a great meat free meal. Make the chilli ahead of time, freeze and have an impressive dinner ready before the bikes have even cooled down.
1 large brown onion finely diced
1 red pepper, deseeded, diced
1 green pepper, deseeded, diced
1 carrot, peeled, finely diced
2 stalks celery, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
1 teaspoon chipotle powder
Pinch of chilli flakes
400g can diced tomatoes
400g kidney or black beans, drained
120g can corn kernels
Rice, tortillas chips, lime and sour cream to serve
- Heat a large pot over medium heat with a tablespoon of oil. Add onion, peppers, carrot and celery and saute for 7-8 minutes or until starting to soften.
- Add garlic, tomato paste and spices, cook for a further 2 minutes or until fragrant. Add tomatoes and beans and enough water just to cover. Simmer for 30 minutes or until reduced and thick.
- Add corn and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper and more chilli if needed.
- Allow to cool before dividing portions into ziplock bags or Tupperware.
- Heat chilli in a pot, bringing it to the boil for 2 minutes.
- Cook rice or mixed grains as per directions on pack.
- Divide chilli, rice and chips between plates, top with sour cream and a lime wedge on the side.
- Chipotle powder will add a smoky flavour, if not available swap sweet paprika for smoked
- Mexican seasoning mix can be used in place of spices – be wary of the amount of added sugar and salt
- Any beans will work, choose one that you prefer
- Adding other veggies such as pumpkin or sweet potato will help to bulk it up and be more filling