Using marinated vegetables allows you to add so much flavour without the work. I have added the marinated vegetables and canned chickpeas to the couscous whilst it is hydrating to warm through. You can keep them separate and garnish on top once the couscous has cooled for a cold version if you prefer.
1 cup of couscous
1 teaspoon olive oil
100g grilled marinated peppers, sliced
100g grilled marinated eggplant
1 small can marinated chickpeas
¼ red onion, peeled, thinly sliced
6 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
100g feta, crumbled
Fresh basil to garnish (optional)
- In a small pot, bring 1 cup of water to the boil. Remove from heat, add couscous, peppers, eggplant, chickpeas and oil and season well with salt. Stir gently, cover, and set aside for 5-7 minutes.
- Divide couscous between plates, top with onion, tomatoes, and fetta.
- Garnish with fresh basil and serve.
- Rice, pasta or quinoa can be used in place of couscous, cook as per packet instructions and gently heat the vegetables in a small pan to warm through before combining.
- Fresh peppers, eggplant and zucchini can be grilled in olive oil, garlic and rosemary if marinated ones aren’t available
- Unmarinated chickpeas can be used, or any canned beans as available