Many of us like to accessorize our bikes. We add bits and bobs that we think will make our rides more comfortable, practical, and capable. And we call them “farkles”.
So, where does the world farkle come from? I was able to find a definition of farkle in Dictionary.com’s pop culture dictionary. They say it is:
As a motorcycle accessory, a farkle is named after the combination of “function” and “sparkle.” It has also been interpreted as a backronym of Fancy Accessory, Really Kool, Likely Expensive. Unlike simple decorations, farkles are so-named because they add a dash of glamour to the motorcycle while still remaining useful to the rider.
There are several proposed origins of this use of the word farkle. One says it was created by a member of the Honda ST1100 user group, another as an early term for the multiple tail lights that Honda Goldwing riders used in the late 1980–90s that would “flash and sparkle” (thus farkle). The backronym was used in an entry in the online Kawasaki Concours Owners Group forum, found in 1989. – Dictionary.com pop culture dictionary
Now that we know what a farkle is, what are your top five favorite farkles? Do you lean more towards using/installing comfort, utilitarian, or capability farkles? Or, do you like a combination of the preceding farkles?
Five favorite farkles
So what are your favorite farkles? Here’s a list of mine:
- Tank bag:
- A tank bag puts your most often used gear right in front of you and within easy reach.
- Wider footpegs
- Wider footpegs are just more comfortable and make it much easier to move around on the bike when necessary.
- Bright accessory lighting
- I live in the mountains of Vermont, and although I don’t ride much at night, they provide conspicuity during the day and much better visibility at night.
- Tool kit box inside my pannier rack
- The pannier rack I use has a provision for locking a waterproof ammo box inside its frame rails. Now my tools are out of the way and in a waterproof secure container.
- Extra fuel container
- Having extra fuel provides the opportunity for more exploration without stopping. There are still places in the world that having extra go-juice can mean the difference between riding and walking.
So what are your top five favorite farkles? Let us know in the comments below.