Zucchini and bacon are a classic flavour combination used to make the family favourite slice. This is a frittata version that can be cooked in the pan rather than in an oven. This is perfect for any time of the day and makes a great leftover lunch if made for breakfast, just make sure if you are on the road that it is eaten within 4 hours to ensure you don’t get sick!
1 small zucchini, cut into 1cm dice
1 teaspoon garlic paste or powder
2-3 pieces of bacon, diced
6 eggs, lightly beaten and seasoned with salt and pepper
- Heat a small fry pan with 1 teaspoon of oil. Add zucchini and cook for 3-4 minutes to remove as much water as possible. Add garlic and bacon and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Spread zucchini and bacon evenly over the base, pour eggs around to cover the pan.
- Allow eggs to set for 1 minute before gently moving from the edge to the centre and tilting pan to allow uncooked egg to move to the sides of the pan. Do this several times around the pan before covering with a lid or plate, cook over low heat for 8-10 minutes or until cooked through.
- Cut into 4 pieces and serve with salad on the side for a light meal.
- Ensure you cook the zucchini until no more water comes out, this will help to prevent the frittata from being soggy
- Don’t overcook the bacon prior to adding the eggs so that it is not tough
- You may need more than 6 eggs, depending on the size of the pan you are using
- Mushrooms, red onion and capsicum can all be used in place of or additional to the zucchini
- Bacon can be omitted for a vegetarian meal