590 lm vs. 595 lm ?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Silverbird, Feb 29, 2016.

1. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I read an article about how to change line weights by editing the gpx file, but a quick search didn't turn it up. Will post a link if I can find it again.

Try this one, it involves building your track, then making that track a transparent map to overlay on your normal topo or street map. Allows you to change colors (same as basecamp) but maybe you can change line widths as well.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...this-changes-everything.992242/#post-24564845
  2. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Line width of the track is changed by the map theme. There are editors available - this is an online version: http://www.javawa.nl/zumocolor/zumocolor.php Increasing the scale makes the line wider. My 590 seems to override the theme's color setting with it's own setting, established from the "wrench" icon menu when the track is loaded. The theme files are stored in \zūmo 590\Internal Storage\Themes\Map with a .ktmf file extension. They are basically text files, which can be edited with basic text editor, if you can sort out the entries.
  3. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can change this by editing the map themes. One of the nice and often overlooked features is the use of map themes that use different colors, widths etc. By using one of a number of map theme editors you can change the color and or width route lines, track lines, roads, background geographic features etc. Using an editor you can fairly easily add contrast to the map themes too.
  4. Weld75

Weld75 Tour-ist

Oddometer:
    A question about changing track width, if I may? Have used the javawa zumocolour editor, and cannot get the track width wide enough to make a meaningful difference. I would like to have the track line the same width as a route line, but cannot get it any wider than the unpaved road line. There appears to be a limit on how wide track lines can be adjusted?
    One work around is to make all roads the same colour,(yellow), and have the track line a contrasting colour, (magenta), so that it does not get "lost" in the road colour.
    Another work around is to reduce map detail using settings menu, so that the track line is often the only object on the screen.
    If any one has got a fix to get track width significantly wider, could you post it please? My ageing eyes would thank you :)
  5. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Weld75 i've run into the same problem with a theme maker, it seems to max out a bit too thin. i usually use black as my track with the "france" color theme, it seems to work best for me so far altho i would absolutely love a big ol' fatty magenta track like the routes.
    Weld75 likes this.
  6. GCecchetto

GCecchetto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Changing the color can be done easily in the 595. For me the key is the line weight. Please post if you find the article. I’m pretty sure I looked to see if I could do it basecamp to no avail, but it could be full of shit.
  7. GCecchetto

Oddometer:
    You should all ask Garmin to add control of the track width. If enough people ask, they might do it.
  8. Weld75

Weld75 Tour-ist

Oddometer:
    Track line width can be changed in base camp, is possible to make it big and highly visible......but it doesn't transfer to device, or at least device ignores that parameter, and does it's own sizing.....which is too thin. So we really need to find a way to get the 595 to recognise the information provided in the edited theme. What is the best way to get to a garmin representative and make a request?
  9. GCecchetto

Oddometer:
    I called and followed the prompts for customer service for the auto Nav units, explained the issue to the representative, and then he sent me a link to fill out a web form that goes to the development team. What they work on is purely prioritized by how many request/report the feature or issue gets, so we should all make a request. The proper fix is to be able to set you track line width preference in the unit so all imported track are set to you predefined preference. That way tracks shared or downloaded mid trip don’t need work in basecamp to show as you want them. Having the unit recognize the profile from basecamp is fine, but if that’s the only way to control the width, it’s a bandaid in my opinion.

They just sent me a link for details about not being able to answer phone calls through the 595. Rather than getting buttons to answer or ignor a call, it comes through like a message with buttons for listen and delete. Pressing listen does not answer the call.
  10. Weld75

Weld75 Tour-ist

Oddometer:
    Called customer support here in Oz, and was and was told about the "ideas" form. Have entered a request on garmins "share an Idea" form, so thats about all that a customer can do....apparently?
    Also received an e-mail in reply saying that;- "unfortunately garmin is unable to respond to each suggestion that has been submitted.
    Any one else have any suggestions about finding a fix, or......(whispering)..."a hack"?
  11. GCecchetto

Oddometer:
    Yep, that’s the exact process I went through. Our only chance will be if a lot of people ask for the same feature.

On my next trip, I’ll probably try REVER and see how that works. The Delorme, now Garmin Earthmate app gives you a nice bold track line that is easy to follow, but unfortunately the app doesn’t keep the phone awake, so not super useful. It’s does give access to good topo maps for free if you have an inreach account that are downloaded onto the device so they work offline with the phones gps.

More and more it seams I should pull the 595 off the bike l, sell it and just use my phone.
  12. sierra_victor

sierra_victor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. Weld75

Weld75 Tour-ist

Oddometer:
    Did try that, Made a small difference....still not enough width! Specifically when zoomed in. Thanks any way.
  14. offtheback

offtheback Chocolate Starfish Supporter

Oddometer:
    What would really be nice. If Garmin had ODB connection to the bike with handlebar controls for scrolling. The only thing I miss about my BMW was the wonder wheel and Nav integration. I do not understand why this is not offered on other models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. dnrobertson

dnrobertson Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer:
    Did you change the original theme? or a copy? If a copy, did you point the Garmin to the new theme?

Did you you try 10? 15?

The screen shot in the original post showed a big difference, so not sure why it's not working for you.
  16. Weld75

Weld75 Tour-ist

Oddometer:
    Have tried a few different variations of themes, mainly garmin HV, but have also modded some others including UK theme. After editing and changing name, I have copied them to 595, and they show up in the themes list. All the changes appear, (when selected), but line width is limited,regardless of the width specified in zumocolors. So, yes I have tried 10 and 15. I think the reason maybe something to do with the zoom parameters, where the track line width is reduced- relative to road/trail width, as the zoom is increased. Eg; at 200m zoom the track line is easier to see against a road;- than it is at 120m zoom.
    Just bear in mind that if I am riding along a rough 4x4 trail, with sun on screen, and a light coating of dust on it, being able to see track at a glance, is better than staring at the screen for seconds, trying to pick the line.
    To cut to the nub of the matter, I would like to have a track line similar to the Montana display! Should have brought one of those instead of zumo.
    Thanks for taking the time to reply,
    Cheers.
  17. GCecchetto

Oddometer:
    Okay Folks, hate to crap in everyones cornflakes, but I have some shitty news from Garmin. I've been in contact with them regarding an issue where when I get an incoming call via my iphone, I get buttons for "Listen" or "Ignore" rather than "Answer" and "Ignore". It treats the incoming call like a message, and tapping listen does not answer the call. Anyway, since I was in direct contact with someone via email, I asked about the line weight issue and the difficulty using tracks when the line is so fine. He said he would personally talk with the development team. Today I got an email back informing me that the behavior I was seeing with call issue was what is normal for the unit WTF?, and that I would have to deal with it as they are no longer supporting the 595 for software updates. Sooo, if they aren's making any software updates, we aren't going get any changes in the track feature set.

I've sunk a lot of money into Garmin devices over the years, and in the last 2 - 3 years along I've purchased a $900 590, a $1000 595, and a $450 inReach. I'm pretty pissed that my one year old 595 is already no longer being supported:bluduh I responded back and told him what I thought about all of this, and that my next unit would be a TomTom, or I would just use my phone. The new TomTom 550 looks interesting, but still a 4.3" screen, and near as I can figure, you can forget getting any topo maps on them. I'm now looking into the different offroad nav options for my iphone, so saturday, if it isn't pissing rain, I'll be running tested on Rever and Earthmate, which I have used a little already, and then at some point probably Gaia. Anyone with any other recommendations, please post them.

I really like having a dedicated powered Nav on the bike, as the map comes up automatically when you head out, so you always have a look ahead at what the road is doing, and current speed limits and such. The tomtom is probably fine for that stuff, and typically, I've found that the forest device roads and other tracks I ride show up on Garmin base map, so the topo maps probably aren't the end of the world didn't really use the topo maps I had loaded on the IDBDR since the roads all showed on the base map, but who knows how good the tomtom base map is. The info on the tomtom sight does say the device does tracks, but there is zero detail regarding how many tracks can be loaded and how many points per track are supported. Really seems like the tomtom devices are aimed at the starbucks crowd.
    F650Dakar_Norway likes this.
  18. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

If you don't mind dropping big coin, there is a first gen coming soon from trail tech. The voyager pro will start delivery April, until the reviews cone out try motion x , Gaia, Osmand, for nav on iOS. If you're willing to get a $50 android (waterproof) try Osmand, locus, or oruxmaps.
  19. GCecchetto

Oddometer:
    Well.....being used to Garmin's prices, $599 is cheap. It looks interesting, but I really wish they had given it a larger screen. I'm old and my eyes suck, so I would have preferred something like a 6" screen. I don't really know much about Trail Tech, so I don't know if this will be a quality product or not, and it's easy to talk about all the "connected" features, but getting them to work properly is a whole other can of worms, clearly seen by trying to get your Garmin, Sena, and smartphone devices working together correctly. I'm hoping Trail Tech is a really together company, and I will be watching it closely. Thanks for the heads up.
    ohgood likes this.
  20. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    Yup it's a first gen, we have no idea what it will be like.