Mexico for the first time

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by MikeS, Jun 5, 2010.

1. MikeS

MikeS You betcha! Vamos! Supporter

Oddometer:
    South of the Border on the Minnesota Riviera
    OK, not too many insults... This old fart finally has time set for a first ever trip to Mexico. I'm nervous, but psyched. Early/mid October for the first of what I expect to be many more trips to Mexico and farther south. I have a total of 12 Pimsleur Spanish lessons memorized, and I can say "Where's the bathroom", "I want a beer", "I understand and speak only a little Spanish", "How much does it cost?", and for negotiating, "I only have a little money". I've read a lot of trip reports, so I should be smart enough to keep myself out of major trouble and jail.

Probably I'll end up doing this solo, unless I can talk someone I know to do it with me. I travel solo a lot, but where people speak English. The language of choice in Mexico is Spanish, of course, which is a new experience. Traveling solo, I'll be the only one who is fluent in English. And the only one near-by who knows a tiny bit of Spanish. I know a little about the import motorcycle, Aduana, customs procedure at the border. I won't be able to read a word of Spanish on the forms that will be at the border. I don't know how to ask for a room, although I can ask "where is the motel?"

Am I absolutely crazy, am I going way over my head? I tend to "plunge in the deep end", so to speak. I also am nervous about the plunge. But Oct. it is.

I probably will travel starting from somewhere south of New Mexico, and return to the States at Matamorous or Neuvo Lerado. Probably a week plus in Mexico this trip. I want to cross Mexico west to east, probably heading towards Torreon via 49. Then get down towards the Gulf and Tampico or even Varacruz. Exact itinerary is not set yet, but there's time for that. I have a copy of "Lonely Planet". I am comfortable with small town and rural, and less comfortable with big cities. I tend to plan loosely and make decisions on the fly. Getting lost and finding interesting places is what a trip is about.

I'll ride what I own, my BMW-RT. I'm fine riding it on bad roads, smooth tarmac, and dirt. It's not a tip over bike, but it has been on its side a couple times. The RT has seen gravel before and handles it fine. It's not a beater, yet, but it's well on it's way.

Assurances??? Words of advice... Should I be nervous? Am I a little over my head (how much?), Cautionary words?? Encouragement... Insults and lies???
  2. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    Nevermind, I have no idea what I'm talking about....My bad
  3. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Actually, you are a stud.

Too many hand-wringers abound these days.

I have a feeling you're about to be shocked. Pleasantly so.

And your endeavor to learn spanish is already a success. If you even portray that you wish to converse in "their" language, even if you actually "suck", you are a hero, in that you convey an air of respect.

If you travel with respect, humility, and display a love for the Mexican people (by the way, Mexican people is a broad statement, in that Mexico is a fusion of cultures), you will be warmly received.

Don't worry about your RT. It won't "give you away", nor should you consider the image you "give off". It's a motorcycle with two wheels and an engine. That alone is a gateway to conversation.

When the Dow Jones is in the tank, that's the time to invest. When all the hand wringers are saying "Mexico is too dangerous", that's the time to GO!

I'll be back to Mexico late October/Early November, for a total exploration of the state of Oaxaca. When I'm sitting on the beach at Zipolite, I'll be toasting your "go for it" attitude and giving you my respect.

Just take a camera, take lots of photos, and post up a ride report.

You Da Man
  4. rous44

rous44 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mike,
    If ther were no concerns to overcome, no fears to be conquered, it wouldn't be an adventure. Very many of us were at one time or another in the same position as you. The exhileration and self esteem you will get is priceless.
    You will have the time of your life. Best of luck.

5. markharf

markharf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yah, quit worrying. You know a lot more Spanish than I've known of the local languages in at least twenty or thirty different language zones through which I've taken my bike, and I've never starved to death, run out of gasoline or failed to find a place to sleep. You're going to be surprised at how capable you really are.

Having said that, I would nonetheless suggest approaching the stock market with caution at this point in time.

Mark

(still stationary in Paramaribo, Suriname)
  6. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Torreon in English is Large Crappy City. But it may be an intersection you need to cross to get to some good stuff.

The Orientals along the Gulf are really nice. The state of Vercruz is a true winner.

Get a Guia Roji map book plus a large scale paper map for planning. As you digest guide book and web info, keep notes of places/things that ring your bell, then transfer those to your maps...or whatever method works for you.
    The only thing to fear...is leading a life that sucks...:D

Trice mentioned Oaxaca, and I'd like to add Chiapas to that list-o-cool as well.
  7. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Now is the time to buy British Petroleum. Lots of it. But that's just me.

Now is the time to go to Mexico if you've been thinking about it. All of it. But that just could be my outlook.
  8. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    A big Amen from the Congregation :pope
  9. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    <OBJECT height=385 width=480>
    <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zF1hBrYqCe8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></OBJECT>.
  10. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Did you say Zipolite??????

[​IMG]

Have Fun!!! :strum :clap
  11. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    That's NOT the chick we're talking about, Vincenzo.

You KNOW the chick we're talking about.

At least, the chick you and I are talkin' 'bout.

You can bring her home.

Just don't marry her.
  12. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    PS, check out the stalkin' stance the dog assumes...
  13. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    And he's not looking at the frisbee...
  14. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Don't do that to yourself. I see you have a 3 digit IBR number, so you know a thing or two about long distance riding. Forget all you know and start over.

First, speeds and travel time in Mexico are very different than what you are used to in the US (and Canada), unless you stick to the autopistas de cuota (toll highways), which are good for making time, but not for seeing the country. Second, the stretch from Juarez to Saltillo or Zacatecas is as mind numbing as they come. The good part is that, as I mentioned, you can make good time on the cuota, the bad part is that the scenery is so monotonous and there is so little to see that after a couple of hours you start to wonder if you haven't just been through that stretch earlier... :lol3 And third, you'll waste two good riding days before you start really seeing Mexico, because you will most likely end up on the cuota as there is little to see on the libre that sort of parallels it. Trust me on that last bit, I start most of my trips from Chihuahua for family reasons, and it's a loooong way before you get to the interesting stuff going southeast.

An option would be to go up to Creel, see Copper Canyon (you don't have to ride down to Batopilas if you don't feel like riding dirt for most of the day, there is lots to see up on the rim, the roads are fantastic). Then ride south through Parral to Zacatecas and the Sierra Gorda. If you have time, go to Tampico (I doubt you'll be able to make Veracruz within a week's time if you actually stop to see things on this route), if not start heading north up on the Sierra to Matamoros.

Gustavo
  15. MikeS

MikeS You betcha! Vamos! Supporter

Oddometer:
    South of the Border on the Minnesota Riviera
    Muchos gracis on all the comments. The long distance stuff is not part of this trip. This is a smell the roses and get lost trip. Two hundred miles of travel per day is a guide I'm using - unless that becomes too agressive. My time is somewhat flexible, so long as I return home to family. My original idea was to follow the Gulf cost down. However, I'll be in Albuquerque before I start, and at the end of this trip, I'll head north on I-35. That influences the route. Looks like some long, lonely desert is on the docket. Desert is kool in it's own lonely, miserably hot, and monotonous way.

Thanks Gustavo for the route suggestion across the interior, and for the reminder of Creel. Maybe I'll include Batopilas, depending on what I hear about the gravel. I like adventure, although gnarly gravel is a limiting factor. I go the same places most big GS riders go. Looks like I have some more studying of Lonely Planet in front of me. Most of all, I like Crashmaster's photo! That's why I NEED to get to the Gulf! Frisbee anyone??
  16. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Vince likely won't be able to bring the Latina (you were talking about a Latina?) home until he does marry her. That Gringa running around on the beach naked, now that's a different story!

Mike just come on down. It sound's like you have the right attitude. Go for it!

SR
  17. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    <OBJECT width=480 height=385>
    <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZxBFRfYiDNE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></OBJECT>.
  18. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    <OBJECT width=480 height=385>
    <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/54i6npOcRGc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></OBJECT>.
  19. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    Earlier this spring I rode from Los Angeles to El Paso. Holy shit that was a lot of desert. If the north-of-the-border part is any geographical indication of the south-of-the-border part, and you want to ride the Gulf side, then I'd suggest waiting to cross until, at the soonest, Laredo/Laredo Nuevo.

San Cristobal de las Casas is pretty cool, but if you want to go there, you should give yourself at least a month in Mexico.

Off the cuotas, plan on averaging 35 mph, and that's riding like a lunatic.
  20. OffRoadCruiser

OffRoadCruiser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had to leave my bike in California in the spring but I am returning at the end of August to resume my trip.

I am also planning to ride into Mexico in October I have never ridden there and I need to get some work done on my teeth.

Have fun on your trip. :freaky

Carl