the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Dad had a 1969 Datsun 250Z in British Racing Green. Hardwood steering wheel and shift knob. He put high-end Konis on it.
    My first two speeding tickets lol.
    Wonder how that straight six’s 150hp would do against a Miata
    JRowland, JagLite and stoney4vida like this.
  2. AST236

AST236 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The early Z cars were cut from the same cloth. They were driver’s cars. If I remember, the first Miatas had 116 or so hp, just a few more than my ‘09 R1200GS. Running them side to side would be a hoot and a half!
    JRowland and JagLite like this.
  3. stoney4vida

stoney4vida Semper Fidelis

Oddometer:
    Pro cycle came thru again :rayof 543E9824-BF7F-42A6-98C4-C13CF5CD6348.jpeg
  4. SloSolo2

SloSolo2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't recall who asked about miata vs mustang but as a former mustang owner I would choose the miata over any non turbo v6 mustang. If you're looking at the live axle cars there is a suspension geometry problem that you really can't over come. I don't know if the IRS cars fixed it or not. The miata suspension is great and can be made even better. The V6 might be faster on a drag strip but for similar prep levels I would bet on the miata for anything with a turn.

Here's an article about mustang suspension. The roll center issue persisted into the S197 models.
    https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/m5lp-0303-mustang-suspension-geometry/

I couldn't find the article I wanted to share, It was a more technical dissertation. Essentially you need lower the car but when you do the roll center actually goes below the road surface. That causes some unusual handling. Also S197 manual transmission V8 cars have a quirk that prevents you from shifting into a gear while turning hard. You can however get it out of gear. Learning about this quirk was a very exciting experience for me. Not sure if the v6 suffers the same issue but it bears research. You can fix it but if you're trying to compete then you have to watch the rule book. The miatas I've driven had excellent shifting characteristics.
    JRowland and JagLite like this.
  5. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    It was a really light car. No internal fender wells for instance. It handled great with those Koni shocks, but man did NE Ohio road salt do a number on that car. It rusted away to nothing, similar to the two Fiat 124 sedans I had
  6. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    wilfred, drhippie2, SloSolo2 and 6 others like this.
  7. procycle

procycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Center of the DualSport Adventure universe
    The sweet spot between a Miata and a Mustang.

grandetetons.jpg

quail-99_zpsorl7hkrb.jpg
  8. LexTalionis

LexTalionis Inciteful

Oddometer:
    I did the swap on the '09 DR, easy, plug-n-play. With the rear wheel and seat off, of course. Perfect fit, looks OEM, and looks great.
    Fishnbiker and JagLite like this.
  9. Redfish Hunter

Redfish Hunter Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Once again, no DR content. Redfish has spent money he doesn’t have on a project he doesn’t need.

During my 4.5 hour one way way drive to get my new project I encountered this fine example of ATGATT. He must have more confidence in his riding than I have in mine.

FD16518B-CB46-41B1-941F-AEB538213D20.jpeg F6978E39-4C17-4DDB-BC97-7130064B6EFF.jpeg EFADC99C-3D8A-4B7A-8E22-9AB8479E906F.jpeg
  10. simestd

simestd Packet plumber Supporter

Oddometer:
    With the recent tail light discussion, I just wanted to throw this reminder out:

Presuming you want to replace the stock US tail light on a post-96 DR650, the biggest thing you should probably know is the tail light you want ISN'T from a DR250, it's from a DR-Z250 - specifically Suzuki part number 35710-13E11. The genuine Suzuki DR-Z250 tail light is 100% plug and play - a 15 minute install. The DR250 tail light is too long and narrow to fit in the fender pocket.
  11. LexTalionis

LexTalionis Inciteful

Oddometer:
    Good point. Just get the tail light from Procycle and yer good to go.
    TreasureState, kbuckey, AK650 and 2 others like this.
  12. tominboise

tominboise Long timer

Oddometer:
    For a track car, I'd consider something with more horsepower than a Miata or a V6 Mustang. Unless you are running exclusively with other Miata's, you will likely be getting passed a lot. I have a fair amount of autocross experience in a variety of cars, including a Miata (but not a Mustang). Miata's can be very competitive in autocross in the right class, but mine didn't have enough oomph for my tastes, and I ddn't want to put the parts into it to make it competitive. The Mustang is a non starter in autocross due to the weight, power and the aforementioned handling issues. They need suspension work and forced induction to start to become competitive but then the classing doesn't work in your favor.
    The Corvette mentioned above ticks a lot of boxes, given the performance / $$ ratio. The latest gen Mustang with the 4cyl ecoboost and the track pack is pretty competitive in autocross and since it's lighter, has pretty good performance.
    AK650, SloSolo2, stoney4vida and 2 others like this.
  13. Tigershark48

Tigershark48 My other BMW is a Roadster.

Oddometer:
    My 225 hp 2000 Z3 M. As small as it is, it never feels little. Tight, solid and smooth.

Attached Files:

14. tobiism

tobiism Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like your style
    Tigershark48 and JRowland like this.
  15. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'-4" and the 2000 (NB) Miata was a tight fit before I operated on the seat as detailed on Miata.net "Seatectomy". That's removing the seat cover (mine is leather) and cutting out a few inches of the foam in the seat base and all of the foam from the seat back, then installing the seat cover back on. Much better shaped bucket seat and a lot more room. It was so nice Robyn asked me to do the passenger seat also even though at 5'-0" she fit fine, she just liked the "bucket seat" feel much better than the stock seat. While doing the passenger side I also redid the driver side and too 2' more of the seat base foam. Much, much better.

However, my helmet hits the roof so I always ran the car topless during auto cross events.
    One event it rained constantly so I drove with my head tipped over a bit. Not what you would want to do at a track day but okay for short autocross runs.

Flyin' Miata is the leader in Miata improvements but upgrading the Miata is an easy trap to fall into, just like the DR, but DR parts are cheap compared with car stuff. Not enough go? Full turbo & supercharger plug and play systems start around $3.5k and give huge increases. Or drop a V8 in with another one of their kits.

I've never sat in the NC and now ND cars so I can't comment on how roomy they are.
  16. Mongle

Mongle Knuckle dragger

Oddometer:
    240Z, there never was a 250 model. Those inline 6 were HEAVY. They made a V8 conversion (240 Scarab) and the V8 was actually lighter.

Please keep the rally wheels. To this day I think they look better than 95% of mag wheels. You probably already know this, but the camshafts in those things are made of lead. Make sure to use a flat tappet compatible oil with some zinc and/or phos. in it.

Square body GM, back when I owned them they were just a truck to get stuff done. Now I look at them and appreciate the simplicity and durability compared to today's trucks. My first vehicle was a 1980 Chevy Stepside. 250 I6 with 3 on the column. That lasted about a month and I had a 350 v8 in it and a Hurst floor shifter. I had a blast in that truck. I learned a lot of wrenching on that thing. I got to where I could pull the engine and trans by myself in about 2 hours. :lol3 I would love to have another one, not that one because it was thrashed when I sold it, but one like it. :D

I have a 1983 C30 3+3 (4 door for the younger guys) with a dump bed. It is rough and I need to do something with it. I keep thinking about getting rid of the dump bed and making it back to just a truck, but I have so many projects the thought of all the work makes me want to drink...well, drink more... :-)
  17. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    It’s more like riding a motorcycle. Also, equally dangerous, the Miata will go fast on curvy roads. I do love the little car, maybe my favorite of all time. Practical it ain’t. I wouldn’t add horsepower, I’d upgrade the suspension . We don’t drive it much, auto-cross is a time suck and I need to own a lower number of play time conveyances. Many miles were put on that car when Cogent was getting up and rolling when Joyce would pack the whole thing with boxes and drive them to FedEx every afternoon. It’s a great car and I will not be the least bit sad if I don’t get around to selling it. Been talking about it for years.
    Nobade, stoney4vida, BergDonk and 8 others like this.
  18. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    Man, I could use a dump bed right now!
    JagLite and AK650 like this.
  19. Mongle

Mongle Knuckle dragger

Oddometer:
    The motor is sitting in my shop, the truck is sitting on the side. I will give you the keys to the shop, have fun!! :lol3

Edit: Funny part is I had a 454 done for it, did a really nice job since it was supposed to be for my step dad. Guy came in wanting a BB for his jet boat and saw it sitting there. I told him it wasn't for sale. He pulled out a thick stack of $100s and proved me wrong... :lol3
    Nobade, kbuckey, stoney4vida and 10 others like this.
  20. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Of course. Just a typo
    Higher Logic, JagLite and AK650 like this.